• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
ok, dumb question - can a rookie do an engine swap on a 96 Jeep XJ 4.0l without too much trouble... it's a matter of pulling apart and putting back together...:scared:

ok, dumb question - can a rookie do an engine swap on a 96 Jeep XJ 4.0l without too much trouble... it's a matter of pulling apart and putting back together...:scared:
Not so much a dumb question as a complicated one. Engine swaps are not difficult if you research first and don't try to rush through it. Once you get to be experienced at them, it's okay to push yourself through one, but the first time, you want to take it fairly slow to make sure you get everything done right. Please do yourself a favor, search on here for engine swap threads, there are some that have covered the swap in pretty good detail. The only special tools you'll need are an engine hoist and an E-12 socket for the upper bellhousing bolts, other than that a typical rookie's hand tools should be able to do it. Another helpful trick to remember is to thread the bolts you take out back into their respective holes so you don't get a "what bolt goes where" situation. Don't tear into it unless you feel atleast somewhat confident, but I would say you'll probably be alright.

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing this swap?

Threading the bolts back in where they came out is a good tip. Sometimes I don't do that myself and end up wondering if the long one or the short one goes there. Another "rookie" style tip is to always hand start a nut or bolt at least a couple of turns before putting a wrench to it. If it won't start by hand, it's not lined up right. This helps prevent the "oh shit" crossed/stripped threads. I've also PM'ed you another tip.

Sensor interchangeably can be a problem. Difference between years, HO engines and standard, systems I and II it can be a mess. I often just swap all sensor etc to insure comparability.

motor swap done to replace a blown motor... 96 4.0l to 96 4.0l...
thanks for the help... did one in the 80's on my cj7 renegade in the middel of winter what a friggin pain... friggin clutch alighnment tool!

Back