• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

progressive 'clunk' when taking off cold

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
94' xj, 4.5" rough country lift, porc sye tom woods cv shaft extended brake lines adjustable upper/lower control arms RE hd trackbar mount RE hd track bar, and 33x12.50 tsl's.

now when i take off after just starting it up and track in a straight path it has a progressive clunk that sounds like the suspension is cycling or somnething and popping because i feel the whole xj kind of clunk and it goes away after i get up to speed but its rele weird and coming from the front end, any ideas?

motor mounts? Open the hood and have someone watch the engine as you hit the gas and the brake. If all your bushings in the susp are good then you have to start looking at what would shift while under tq.

I had a buddy w/ a 5 inch homebrewed lift, I don't remeber what year but about 2 years after the lift something like this happened to him. Not saying its the same in your case but his was the front DS. Took so long to figure it out that It ended up trashing his TC.

If your thinking it may be the front drive line pull it out and go drive it. If it goes away you found your problem.

Also do a bold cheak on the front, and check for worn out ujoints.

Also check your uni-bearings, maybe they are really worn out.

About the motormounts, you should just be able to look at them if the rubber is dead{(sompressed/distorted) then replace them. FYI the motor will rock a little even with new motor mounts.

Back