• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas to Diesel Swap possible?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at buying a diesel setup out of a t-boned rig and wanted to know if anyone had swapped one into a gasser. or what components i would need to carry over to make it possible.

also... what field tests can i perform to make sure the motor isnt crapola ive never worked on diesels before

take that as a no?

Anything is possible with enough money, fab skills, and time.

What engine are you planning on using? There are a few threads here on using the Jeep Liberty Diesels, Mercedes I5 Diesels, and Cummins 4BTs.

What is the donor vehicle?

Is it one of the older XJ's that came with a diesel? If so, research seems to indicate that it is a bit of a dog. Some torque, but low hp numbers, as well as little to no aftermarket support.

Then again, what do I know? I've never even seen one of the diesel XJ's!

:)

85 or 86 xj diesel donor,stock, sitting in a buddies yard for a couple years with no diffs.

not really interested in get up and go or wheeling it, wanted to use as a veggie jeep project, most likely sell it when its done, but wanted to see how feasible it was before i committed to it.

installing a factory 2.1TD will be about the easiest swap possibly, though not the best engine ever.

plus if the engine needs any mechanical work it will be hard to finds parts these days.

Last edited:
Back