• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange coolent leak...

muduck18

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 and it has been leaking coolant for 5 months or so. it doesn't leak when the jeep is running or hot. only after it has gotten hot and then cooled down.

its running down he bottom rad hose like every other leak from the WP.
the pump has 140k on it about, so baught a new one, but i wanted to know if any one had seen this before... and if that is indicative of a failing water pump?

As long as you have the pump and it's a little long in the tooth on miles, I'd certainly install it and see where you're at. If the pump is leaking from the weep hole, you certainly don't want to wait.

What happens to metal when it gets hot it expands, that would be my guess as to why it does not leak when running or hot. As said above, with that many miles on it, go ahead and replace the pump.

What happens to metal when it gets hot it expands, that would be my guess as to why it does not leak when running or hot. As said above, with that many miles on it, go ahead and replace the pump.

Thats what I was thinking, maybe it blew out part of the gasket and when it gets hot it seals it, then when it cools off maybe it leaks until the pressure goes down...

Could be the freeze plugs in the head or the block.

Freeze plugs? are those the round things that look like pressed in dimples along the sides of the head? I will look at them next time i am in the garage and see if they leak at all, I haven't checked them..

Thanks guys!

Freeze plugs? are those the round things that look like pressed in dimples along the sides of the head? I will look at them next time i am in the garage and see if they leak at all, I haven't checked them..

Thanks guys!

Yes - I had one leaking coolant from the back of the head, there are others in the block as well.

With as many miles as you have you may want to consider other things to replace while you have it apart.

1) Fan clutch - you have to remove the fan to do the job.
2) Idle pulleys - they will be easy to replace with the belt off.
3) Fan belt - you have it off, no more labor to install a new one
4) Thermostat - You are that far into it, plus you over heated the engine, you ruined the thermostat.
5) Radiator hoses - have to remove the lower from the water pump.
6) Change coolant - You will have it empty. I recommend a 50/50 mix and use distilled water, not that much to avoid "mineral" issues.
7) Radiator cap - Replace the cap when you replace the thermostat. You have ruin it too by overheating.
8) hose clamps - install new hose clamps on the hoses you change.
9) Radiator - do you know the age of the radiator, is it the stock unit? If so replace it.

Where to get parts
Fan clutch - local parts store you trust
Idle Pulley - local part store
Fan belt - I like the goodyear gatorback, runs quieter. Autozone sells them
Thermostat - Dealer, it comes with a gasket with RTV pre applied
Water pump gasket - Dealer, it also comes with the RTV pre appied
Coolant - parts store you trust
distilled water - grocery/discount store. Drug store charges more
Raditor cap - I had a 88 XJ so dealer was the only place, I'd go dealer or buy a stant from a parts store.
Radiator Hoses - dealer, they come with the anti-chafe on them, also spring in the lower hose.
Hose clamps - any store you trust. buy a good quality clamp.

If you get the gaskets at the dealer you won't have to buy a tube of RTV.

also if you are getting a leak from the head it could be the thermostat gasket, so if you do all of this you should have the vehicle renewed.

Last edited:
With as many miles as you have you may want to consider other things to replace while you have it apart.

Thanks Martin,
1) Fan clutch - you have to remove the fan to do the job.
New OEM @ 115k mi

2) Idle pulleys - they will be easy to replace with the belt off.
New aftermarket @ 115k

3) Fan belt - you have it off, no more labor to install a new one
115k - napa.

4) Thermostat - You are that far into it, plus you over heated the engine, you ruined the thermostat.
I have not oever heated yet, and the termostat seems to be working fine. I don't think its ever been changed...

5) Radiator hoses - have to remove the lower from the water pump.
new at 135kmi - napa.. which did have a spring in the lower...

6) Change coolant - You will have it empty. I recommend a 50/50 mix and use distilled water, not that much to avoid "mineral" issues.
I flush it completely every year.

7) Radiator cap - Replace the cap when you replace the thermostat. You have ruin it too by overheating.
replaced it once when I lost it... (when you have a 2 year old you can loose anything)

8) hose clamps - install new hose clamps on the hoses you change.
check...

9) Radiator - do you know the age of the radiator, is it the stock unit? If so replace it.
The radiator is one that I pulled from a 2001 (an aluminum core I think) in a pick an pull, that had 35k mi on it.

If you get the gaskets at the dealer you won't have to buy a tube of RTV.
I own an XJ, I have several tubes of rtv :roll:

I think I will check my records and see if I have ever replaced the thermostat on this one. if not I may as well pick one of them up..
Thanks again guys!.

Back