• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift shock questtions

nwo98xj

NAXJA Forum User
hey all ! I have been reading on the fourm for some time now and must say it is a great place to get info. I am in the middle of building my second xj. this one is a 98 sport with a 4.0 and a auto. anyway I have installed a rc 6.5 x series and added a 2 inch budget boost, I also but in the drop bracket control are brackets. so i am at 8.5 inches and can't seem to find shock that are long enough. I would be greatfull for any help. thanks

depends on the money you are looking to spend companies such fox and bilstein do make custom length shocks im sure there are many others to but you will be spending a fair amount of money on something like that like they say though you get what you pay for

8.5" is a lot of lift. I'm a BIG fan of drop brackets, but they're really past their effectiveness at 8.5.

Lose the spacer, drop it to 6.5, your d/b will work better, and you'll find shocks easier..

I know that's not what you asked, but that's my advice...

Robert

Thanks for the advice but then the tires wont fit I am in north western ontario canada and rocks are not what we have to play on, I am mostly in mud and trail rides.......hmmm time for a full run down, I hope this helps me to find shocks, I can't be the first guy to go this big
1998 xj 4.0, 4 door auto
6.5 rc x series with db plus 2 inch spacer and rear blocks
tom wood drive shaft
advanced adaptors sye
4.88s gears for my 8.25 and 4.88s for my 30 with an ected
36x14.5 swanper radials
dick cepek dc1 wheels
bush wacker cut out flairs
8000lb smitty built winch
got to find a good bumper for winch

so nobody has a skyjacker or rough country or pro comp shock with an 8 inch lift .......whats up I thought for sure somebody on here could help me. Please...........oh and my custom plate says 1BAD98XJ sorry borowing your name

my custom plate says 1BAD98XJ sorry borowing your name

You guys get more digits than we do...

stickers3.jpg

But really, 6.5 would be plenty for 36's.

I run 35s on 5, and I'm far from the only one.

Running 8.5" is your prerogative, but if you're set on it, you really should spend the money to do it right: longarms instead of dropbrackets, full packs instead of blocks, etc...

Robert

yep I maxed out the letters, well Here its go big or go home. and the 36 are close to rubbing on the flairs, it is a duel purpose. i am going to try to post a pic in a min or two, I know i did this on the cheap. budget thing maybe some day.

sorry cant really help with the pic trouble (is the pic already uploaded somewhere online and are you using the insert image button above?)

but would something like this help?
experts correct me if im wrong...
http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

stm02_lrg.jpg

i hope its ok with Detours that im posting one of his pics from his site

Last edited:
o.k. how do i post a pic uuuuuuuggggg

Upload it to a photo-hosting site, I use PhotoBucket.

Then link the image here.

Or email to me, and I'll do all-of-the-above for you...

Robert

rmhull at hotmail dot com

Well, where have you looked? I browsed through quadratec's site and didn't see anything, but you could always call em.

Of course, if you're going to pick up the phone, we'd like to see you start with the naxja sponsors: http://sponsorship.naxja.org/

I'd have to think that somebody there will be able to find what you need...

Good luck!

Robert

Since your in Canada, ordering Rusty's products could be a problem, but i know that BDS sells a shock for 8 inch lift.

Back