• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 output Spline

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping my AW-4 out of my 97 and putting one from a 94 in tomorrow. I'm worried about the spline count. I'm not sure if the 97 was 23 or 21. Anyone know if im going to have a problem matching up my 94 tranny to the 97 t-case? thanks

k i realized they are both 23 spline. changed from 21 in 1991 for the HO 4.0 however, In 1996, the AW4 transmission added a front input speed sensor and the rear speed sensor changed from a 1-pulse/rev reed sensor to a 4-pulse/rev magnetic sensor. which means i would need the same wiring harness and computer right?

k i realized they are both 23 spline. changed from 21 in 1991 for the HO 4.0 however, In 1996, the AW4 transmission added a front input speed sensor and the rear speed sensor changed from a 1-pulse/rev reed sensor to a 4-pulse/rev magnetic sensor. which means i would need the same wiring harness and computer right?

You can probably swap the speed sensor rotor - it's in the transfer case adapter housing. There's a snapring that retains it to the shaft, and I believe it's located using a Woodruff key.

I think the change was actually in 98, as the wiring schematic doesn't show the additional front sensor until then. Should be easy enough to stick your head under the 97 and look if there is a front speed sensor, right? The picture of the speed sensor rotor in the 96 FSM also only shows 1 lobe. I think it should be a straight swap.

I think the change was actually in 98, as the wiring schematic doesn't show the additional front sensor until then. Should be easy enough to stick your head under the 97 and look if there is a front speed sensor, right? The picture of the speed sensor rotor in the 96 FSM also only shows 1 lobe. I think it should be a straight swap.

well ill just have to wait tomorrow morning and see. I'll keep you posted on whether or not it was a smooth swap. Thanks again

-Nick

Back