• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serp belt A/C ?????

curbdog17

NAXJA Forum User
Can i bypass my A/C with a stock non A/C belt?
my air does not work and i have heard the A/C pulley can rob power from the motor, even when not useing the A/C.

I am fairly certain the XJs that don't have A/C (at least on the 4.0) still use the same serpantine belt. They just put a pulley on a bracket in place of it.

You are not having any power robbed with your A/C turned off unless your bearing is really worn or something crazy is going on with your clutch. The A/C compressor pulley will spin with very little resistance when not in use. I would not worry about losing any power. If you just want it gone, go and get the bracket and pulley.

hope this helps,
Jeeps
'00 4.0 5sp

Make it OBA or do like alot of us do and move the alt up in place of the ac and use a shorter belt at that point deleting the ac system. Me personally I've disconnected everything for the ac system and left the comp in place to turn into OBA when the weather warms back up.

wow the OBA is a great idea, never seen that before. i bookmarked the page and will be doing that in the future. thanks guys.

I have removed all the A/C components and I just left the compressor there(future OBA). It really does spin very freely when it isn't on. Just do that or find the pulley bracket from a non/ac model. Easier than trying to figure out how much shorter the belt would have to be to just skip the pulley.

Plus another thing when you remove the a/c components is that with the condenser not in front of the radiator anymore overheating problems are no longer there because it gets all the air.

Back