• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Emergency Brake cables for late model XJ

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
Depsite my many hours of pouring over old posts, I can't seem to find a definative answer....

I have a XJ Dana 44 that I recently picked up for my '98 XJ. I'm struggleing to find out what cables to use for the emergency brakes. By my first observations, it's obvious that the stock emergency brake cables that work on early model XJ's won't work on the set up for my late model '98.

For now, I'm keeping the stock drum set up on the Dana 44, and I have a '98 which runs the brake cables predominately on the driver's side. I'm hoping that I might be able to use the stock brake cables used on my 8.25. Any problems or fixes with this set up? Any alternatives?

Thanks.....

i used the passanger side cable off my 8.25 because the one on the dana 44 was too short. and the driver side cable on the dana 44 was not messed with.

Not sure if it helps but I used my 1997 d35 e-brake cables for my xj44.

From searching I found that on a 1997+ you can move the e-brake bracket back like 6 inches then the stock D35 lines should work without any issues. The bracket I am referring to is the sheet metal bracket under the jeep on the drivers side where the cable from the handle and the cables to the rear meet. Just drill and tap it back 5-6 inches.

Last edited:
You should be able to re-use your stock cables.

Wayne

On my '99, I reused the stock D35 cables without relocating the bracket. This is with 5.5" of lift and I don't have any binding problems. Are the 8.25 cables different? If not, you should be good to go.

Thanks all... I'll give my stock cables a shot. They look pretty darn close in size.....

I moved my 87 30-44 over to my 2000 witch had a 30-8.25 and at first thought it would not work(springs at end of cables were dif lenths). its all in the adjustments.It worked out fine on both jeeps.I don't know about 98 model.

On my '99, I reused the stock D35 cables without relocating the bracket. This is with 5.5" of lift and I don't have any binding problems. Are the 8.25 cables different? If not, you should be good to go.

No they aren't. Just unhook the D44 cables from the axle, and then put the 8.25 in. Been working fine on my '99.

The cable size is the same from both when the cables were the same length, as well as the newer set up with one cable longer.
The cables are going to the exact same location, so the length isn't an issue (unless you are stretching your wheelbase), and whether its a D35, D44 or 8.25 doesn't matter.

And there is absolutely no need to move the bracket.

Last edited:
Back