• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can The Stock L.C.A Be Adjusted

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3in lift on my 97. When the front extends out it seems like the spring gets to close to the bump stop the axel goes back to much can this be fixed by adjusting the bolt on the frame that holds the lower control arm.

I have a 3in lift on my 97. When the front extends out it seems like the spring gets to close to the bump stop the axel goes back to much can this be fixed by adjusting the bolt on the frame that holds the lower control arm.

you also need to put a shim behind the caster shoe that the bolt goes through in the mount so the arm doesnt get pushed back. look at the back of the control arm body mount, there are 2 studs/nuts, the shim goes between the caster shoe and the mount. i believe there should be 1 or 2 shims in the mount already.

Just checked it out and there are no shims on either side where would I get these called all the local places no one has them. Do not want to go LCA.

How much would you need for 3 to 4 inches of lift to bring the springs back in line?

Lining up your springs is not the issue. This controls your caster setting. You need at least 5 degrees of positive caster, anything less will cause your front end to wander, especially at higher speeds like on the freeway.

Lift kits typically cause the axle to be rotated forward a few degrees which changes the caster. Adjustable control arms are the best way to correct this problem. You can try using shims at the lower control arm mounts, but you don't have a lot of adjustment there. The shims can be made out of any flat mild steel. You might try shimimg the lower control arm out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Caster can be measured at the ball joints, or at the diff cover with an angle finder. Take a look at go-jeep's website there are directions for a do-it-yourself front end alignment that includes setting caster.

Just checked it out and there are no shims on either side where would I get these called all the local places no one has them. Do not want to go LCA.

Typically from the factory there are none in there. If you want the factory ones, they are a dealer item. They make two different sizes that you can use alone or in combination. As to whether or not they will solve your problem, :dunno:.

An answer to your question is "probably". The stock mount can take up to a quarter inch thick shim which you can easily make. I followed Go Jeeps write up two years ago and have not looked back. I ended up putting in a 3/16 inch shim at that time with my roughly 3.5 inch lift. If my internet had a speed dial, Go Jeeps site would be in my top five. Use it.

I can only find 9mm shims from the dealer they say that is all you can get. I have called dozens of other places no one has them. form what I have been reading that will be to big..

make your own out of sheet metal. i didn't even know this existed... you learn something every day.

I can only find 9mm shims from the dealer they say that is all you can get. I have called dozens of other places no one has them. form what I have been reading that will be to big..

Try one of the better equipped alignment shops. A while back, I took mine in for an alignment, and they had used some of the CA shims to bring thing within spec......

And as mentioned, you can always make some using these specs...

shims.jpg

Last edited:
Hey ivan thanks for the template made them up last night out of 3/16 steel came out perfect. now how hard is it to get the control arms loose. I gave it a shot last night and could not break the big bolt free with a big breaker bar any tips for this please

Sorry, didn't have my parts list on me when I posted earlier about getting them from the dealer. The two shim sizes are .9 and .4 mm. Notice the decimal point. 9 mm would be huge!

5200 0234 SHIM, Control Arm, Caster and Pinion Angle Adjusting - .9mm thick
5200 3976 SHIM, Control Arm, Caster and Pinion Angle Adjusting - .4mm thick

Quantity listed for both is "As Required"

Called 3 dealers looking for these and all of them said 9mm. No one said .9 Shows how well these guy's no what they are doing.

Any way put them on today a little bit of a pain broke one back stud and had to drill it out and put a nut and bolt took about an hour could have 1/2 that if it was not for the broken stud. Drove about 25 miles home from work drives grate you can feel the differance in the way it rides on road and over bumps.
The best part is no more wobble at 50mph. I thought it would not be worth the effort what could a pc of 3/16 steel do i was wrong. Thanks for all the help

Back