• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning upgrades out - need opinions

Jasorono

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,

I'm starting to plan my upgrade budget/schedule/etc. for the sping and I need to decide on a few things. I was wondering if I could get some opinions to make these upgrades as appropriate for me as possible.

PS: When I get to work, I will take as many pictures as possible and post them. I'm also doing a floor repair/herculiner job and HVAC heater/AC repair. So, I've got a lot on my plate this spring/summer.

99 XJ Sport (4X4 - chrysler 8.25 rear)

Question 1: I want to get a lift done (Not sure if this will happen this year, but I want to prepare). I have changed my rear DS u-joints twice in 3 years, I think due to vibration so I would like to do a SYE before I even do the lift (I'm between a 3.5 to 4.5 lift).
There is no way I'm spending 500 - 600$ on a SYE, so I'm going to do the PORC SYE for 170$ combined with a junker front DS.
**Would this cause any problem if I'm still on stock suspension, and if not will it work once I go up 3.5 - 4.5 inches of lift???. **

Question 2:

I want to also put a rear locker, but am not sure how to go about it. I live in Canada, so ice/snow is a big concern with auto lockers. I've read that it can make the drive pretty bad on Ice. I dont think the wife will like that too much. I was looking at OX cable locks, but they don't seem to make an 8.25 locker. Any ideas how good an air locker is?

Thanks,

O.K. my opinions on your issues. Do the SYE and the front driveshaft if you plan to stick with about 3-4.5" of lift. If you plan to lift higher you will need a custom driveshaft. As for a rear locker, you can do just fine with a lunchbox locker if you learn to drive with a light touch. A selectable locker is good but very expensive. If you do alot of snow driving you might want to look at a truetrack helical gear traction device. It will be much more forgiving in the snow. On ice you're gonna have problems no matter what you have. I personally don't prefer air lockers because of the greater potential for parts to fail. That being said, many people have them and if they're properly installed and maintained they are just fine. It really depends on how much snow driving you will do and what your tolerance is for learning to operate a locked diff in the snow.

What t-case do you have?
Auto trans?
Tire size wanted?
Your having driveline problems with stock suspension?
Quote"(I'm between a 3.5 to 4.5 lift)". you said?
I think its best to get your lift on first then use your front DS with your SYE setup and set your rear axle pinion angle to the way your jeep sits.
The SYE with front DS is probably too long for stock and may bottom out.
I've run 6" lift without SYE (12 years).Yes the newer t-cases are weaker.

Need more info about what you have.

I have a lockright(cheap/noisy)locker and am happy with it.You have to slow down in snow with an auto locker.Mine has no sign of wear after about 8 years.I would put the same in the front but Moab would give it stress so a manual locker in the f is best for me.
My 2WD V8 grand cherokee has no traction in the rain & snow so I wish it had a locker.

You can still use a stock auto XJ even close to 6". I do.

Also, don't buy from PORC. They are ripping people off and screwing ppl left and right.

The newer transfer cases aren't weaker. They have a shorter output which makes them more prone to vibes...

ANSWERS:

Transfer case? ---> I guess I have the 231? It's stock on a 99 sport with the 4hi - 4 Full time and 4lo.

Auto trans? ---> Not sure

Tire size wanted? ---> right now 235-70 R15 - want 31s or 32s after lift

Your having driveline problems with stock suspension?---> Well, the ujoints have gone bad twice in 3-4 years with litthe offroading. Could be the constant stop and go me and the wife do. when the ujoints are good, it doesn't vibrate, except at around 100km/h or 60mph. I guess it could be something else.

Quote"(I'm between a 3.5 to 4.5 lift)". you said?----> Yeah, I would like around 4ish. "I'm between.." as in "I am not sure which I will get yet" I just asumed that over 2 inches, you should get a SYE and otherwise you are looking for trouble. That's the general opinion I had gotten so far.

So I guess, based on what I'm hearing, is I'll go with a lift, and cross my fingers that the DS doesn't vibrate too much.

I would much rather do a lift without a SYE.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Guess I'll start looking around.
Would you even recommend I hold off a lift before this issue is addressed? I never plan on going over 4 or 4.5 inches. It will remain a DD.

Personally, I would say yes. In the spirit of building things the right way, I would never put on a lift over a couples inches without budgeting for a SYE. But that is really up to you. You can chance it and you might get lucky. But more often than not, it bites you in the ass.

Yeah, I'd say hold off (or don't even go there. . .). Figure out why you are going through DS U-Joints, maybe the DS is out of balance? Don't know but you shouldn't be having those problems with stock suspension.

With the 4-Hi / 4-Full Time, the NP242 transfercase is a good unit, with the right tires, I imagine it would do just fine for Winter weather.

If you don't do your own fabrication, there is no cheap way to do 4" of lift /32's on a DD and keep the road manners of an unlifted Jeep. Add an auto-locker, and don't expect your wife to be happy with it at all. . . My wife HATES driving my XJ with a rear locker (but LOVES her TJ on 33's with air lockers. . .)

Back