• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PS Cooler Mounting

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm looking to use either a ZJ or Explorer tranny cooler for a power steering cooler. I'm thinking the best place to mount it would be in front of the radiator on the drivers side. For those of you who have done this, how are you mounting them? Custom mounts?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=HAD&MfrPartNumber=209&CategoryCode=3200B

In stock at Kragen $7.

209.jpg

I used the Exploder cooler.Mounted in the area where the air box used to be.
Bent the mounting tabs to fit inner fender,only had to drill one hole and the hose from the pump (in)was long enough to fit.Only needed one longer hose back to the pump.

Wayne

Just make sure you plumb it into the return line, and not the pressure line. Why?

1) Working pressure for the Saginaw PS pump (and most LT/Pax PS pumps in general) is 1200-1500psig. Most autos are only spec'd for around 300psig max, and the cooler for those in plumbed into the return line anyhow (pressure is residual.) I'm reasonably certain that the cooler coils aren't rated for anything more than 100psig or so.

2) By the time the fluid is coming back, it's done its work and picked up all the heat it's likely to collect in that loop. Might as well get rid of as much as possible. Yes, it picks up some heat being pressurised, but it picks up much more doing the actual work (and it cools the metal bits anyhow - picking up more heat in the process.)

I had a mustang with a manual tranny and and a radiator for an auto. I ran the power steering fluid through the radiator tranny fluid cooler and it stayed plenty cool.

I'm looking to use either a ZJ or Explorer tranny cooler for a power steering cooler. I'm thinking the best place to mount it would be in front of the radiator on the drivers side. For those of you who have done this, how are you mounting them? Custom mounts?

I have two of these mounted on the front of my rediator. Hard to be the $30 price too.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pr...IMP&MfrPartNumber=242009&PartType=895&PTSet=A

One for transmission one for power steering.

The kit has the mounting hardware in it. You can see them in htis picture.

IMG_0139.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Wayne do you have any pictures of your setup? I thought about doing an inner fender mount too.

Also, can the PS fluid ever be too cooled? Say for example running a cooler during the winter months.

Thanks guys!

Wayne do you have any pictures of your setup? I thought about doing an inner fender mount too.

Also, can the PS fluid ever be too cooled? Say for example running a cooler during the winter months.
I don't think you can over-cool the power steering fluid unless it's like way below zero outside. It is possible to get a thermal bypass valve for a cooler that bypasses until the temp gets to a certain point.

Thanks guys!

Sorry no Pics.
I did run the return line thru the cooler,and it is mounted lower than the PS resvouior.(sp) To keep air out of the system.

Wayne

I mounted the PS cooler inside of the front crossmember and the tranny cooler on the drivers side of the radiator. The PS cooler is the smallest Hayden cooler you can buy(6500# gvwr tranny cooler)

2.jpg

I don't have a bumper yet(still have to make one) but its well protected wit the factory skid
1-09-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back