• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump module- HELP!

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
I have two threads on this on another website, so feel free to see the details below... if you want the cliffs notes, skip.

http://greatlakesxj.activeboard.com/index.spark?forumID=43793&p=3&topicID=23792462

http://greatlakesxj.activeboard.com/index.spark?forumID=43793&p=3&topicID=23913175

I have a 1996 XJ 4.0- no auto parts stores I went to- on the internet or in person- has a whole assembly, only the motor part. I need the whole assembly due to corrosion, and any junkyard part from around here is likely not much better.

I decided to purchase a fuel pump for a '95. I PM'd GoJeep about this and he said that the 96 unit has a built in regulator, and with the older unregulated unit and no regulator on the rail, this would probably be bad. I figure 'the more input the better' so I thought I'd take this public, as I'm sure there's a lot of 1996 XJs out there.

So- I could add a regulator at the fuel rail, I'm not sure if it's a plug n play sort of deal or if I'd have to work it into the vaccum lines, or end up swapping a rail and return line off a 91-95 XJ (meanwhile I'll upgrade the injectors but that's another topic that has been discussed here a lot).

Has anyone dealt with this? Any help would be appreciated.
-Matt

you'll need to do the rail/line swap. unregulated fuel pressure to the injectors is guaranteed to throw "fuel system rich" codes plus eventual Catalytic convertor damage. being a '96 the OBDII system will throw a temper tantrum and you'll be miserable.

That sounds like a lot of work. The advantage you would have with the return line is that the fuel isn't dead headed in the fuel rail, so you won't have heat soak issues. But it seems that a simple in-line fuel regulator would also work. It doesn't seem that you need the vacuum controlled type, as the original in tank one wasn't vacuum controlled. Does the new pump assembly sheet metal flange fit right up to the old tank?

... Does the new pump assembly sheet metal flange fit right up to the old tank?

It appears to mount to the front of the fuel tank at an angle like the stock one.

bbe9c57a.jpg

for all the trouble you want to go through, why not go online to www.car-parts.com and get a used assembly from another part of the country. im sure you could get the 95 assembly to work, but at what cost. now if this is just a project and are up to the challenge, then go for it, but its not practical when you could find a used one and have it shipped to you. i find i hard to believe there arnt any used ones to be found in a junkyard. might be able to get the tank and assembly togther from a junk yard.

for all the trouble you want to go through, why not go online to www.car-parts.com and get a used assembly from another part of the country. im sure you could get the 95 assembly to work, but at what cost. now if this is just a project and are up to the challenge, then go for it, but its not practical when you could find a used one and have it shipped to you. i find i hard to believe there arnt any used ones to be found in a junkyard. might be able to get the tank and assembly togther from a junk yard.

I'm looking into this, and found some in yards down south, so there'll be very little corrosion.

From the looks of it, I'd start spraying the fuel tank nuts with PB blaster. Maybe you could get a good fuel tank too. Or spray the fuel tank with oil. Usually they rust out right above that flange.

Well, junkyard did not reply yet... I'll give them a call tomorrow and if they're a joke, then I'll do the 91-95 fuel rail/regulator and return line swap. It shouldn't take more than an afternoon.

From the looks of it, I'd start spraying the fuel tank nuts with PB blaster. Maybe you could get a good fuel tank too. Or spray the fuel tank with oil. Usually they rust out right above that flange.

Consider it done.:cheers:

Now I have to find a fuel rail out of an earlier HO and return line. I might see if anyone is parting a XJ out.

Back