• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tera 4 -1....What's the word?

7 years and loving it!

Is it worth the money? I have a 242 so i'd have to swap cases but i've been thinking about the tara low for a long time now... What do you think, worth it? I've got 4.56s and 35s incase you were wondering.

Back then it was the only game in town,But my Rock-trac was a better purchase overall.

Is it worth the money? I have a 242 so i'd have to swap cases but i've been thinking about the tara low for a long time now... What do you think, worth it? I've got 4.56s and 35s incase you were wondering.

You'll have to factor in the cost of the 231 and SYE. I'm sure others will chime in.
For me, already having both makes it a cost effective swap. I can't justify spending 1k on a used 241OR if these guys arn't having problems with their tera kit. IMO

You'll have to contact Tera, but there was a point in time when you could send the front half of your 242 to them and they'd machine it for a 4:1. I've got one of those in my 96. Absolutely love it but as others have said, you can get the 241OR now as well. This one has been in mine for like 9 years with a Currie fixed yoke kit.

I could get a junkie 231 for like fifty bucks though... And i've already got an SYE in my 242 would it fit the 231? Worth asking anywasys lol...

I could get a junkie 231 for like fifty bucks though... And i've already got an SYE in my 242 would it fit the 231? Worth asking anywasys lol...

Honestly, after it's all said and done, you'd probably end up spending more there than the 241 because you'd still need to pick up a SYE or hack n tap.

Hardware and tools adds up! Just my opinion though.

If I were you, I'd look into the 241.

Edit: the 241OR already comes with a SYE.

Last edited:
I've never even heard of the 241 before! How much does it take to fit my auto does anyone know? Also prices and places to get one? I don't mean to ask alot of questions but this is exciting for me lol

Whoops sorry lost my mind there lol sounds pretty rare :/ I'll keep an eye out though... Just like i've been keeping an eye out for a D44, used lockers, some seats not held together with duct tape and so on... lol

The 241 isn't rare, it is just fairly expensive...It comes in the Rubicon Wranglers.

Its not that expensive, it costs about the same as a teralow and sye, plus you save on your labor.

I searched for more info on them and i came across a guy that put one in his xj but for some reason he had to cut a hole in his floor to fit it... Is that always the case with a 241 install? Cause i don't like cutting holes in floors...

Mine was a "bolt-in",no mods at all.

I just installed a used 231 with the Teralow. I have noticed a couple things, its much harder to get in/out of 4low. (which is fine, just have to get used to it)

however, the part that worries me, is after i switch back into 2wd, it makes a little metallic whirring noise whenever i am moving...

does anybody elses do this?
is it going to lock up on me at some point and leave me stranded?

thanks in advance!

i'd like to do the 241OR but as far as I know it won't bolt up to my AX5. So I will most likely go with the tera low kit.

Does anyone know if the 4:1 works with their 2WD low range kit?

Back