• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

next 44 hp front question??

themud

NAXJA Forum User
next question DO I have to cut and turn the knuckles for the caster i get 5 degress with a stock pinion angle of 3-4 degrees... Im putting warn premium lockouts on the front and dont go over 20 or so with 4 wheel drive on due to having front and rear lockers so I shouldnt have to worry about vibes right??? Because of that do I really have to rotate the knuckles?? My current setup is 4 degrees of caster and 6 degrees on the pinion so what do you 44 hp guys think??
themud

Cut and rotate,do it now while its easy and still off the rig.

I think caster is much more important than pinion angle, and that 4 degrees isn't enough. 5-7 is what you want to aim for. Driving around in a Jeep that wanders, and doesn't track straight isn't fun.

I say if you are going to build it, why not build it right?

without doing anything I get a least 5 degrees without turning anything IE just burn the truss on and go with it I want to make sure that I can still drive the damn thing on the road but Im trying to be ready by rockfest.. the 4 degrees is what I have now on my d30 and yeah it can be fun...
themud

I just dont want to rip into it and get put behind schedule but i do understand do it now while its easy:laugh: I just want to know if anyone has put it in and NOT turned the knuckles???

The answer is, yes you should. However, I did not turn the inner knuckles on my HP 44, I"m running 5* positive caster with a little over 7 inches of lift and I don't have any issues. My HP D44 came out of a 78 F250, which was a fairly high truck so that might have helped. I've tested mine in 4wd with just the front drive shaft in, on the feeway, and I don't have any vibes.

I'm running a 76 hpd44 out of an F-150, I didn't turn the inner C's and I track perfectly straight without any DW, but I'm also only at 5-5.5" of lift or so.

Back