• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 flat top knuckles?

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
are these flat top knuckles? they are from a 1979 F-250 dana 44...

064-1.jpg

065-1.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

if so what would i have to do to use "high steer arms"? (http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/D44-High-steer-arms-with-hardware_p_1248.html)

No the knuckles you want are from a Chevy Dana 44

Yes, those are flattop knuckles. F250 8 lug 44's have flattops. I have a set sitting in my garage that I milled, drilled, and tapped.

They are flattops, but if you were to use them, you would need to run everything from the F250's knuckles out, i.e. spindles, calipers, hubs, rotors, and 8 lug pattern.

They are flattops, but if you were to use them, you would need to run everything from the F250's knuckles out, i.e. spindles, calipers, hubs, rotors, and 8 lug pattern.

thats the plan (anything wrong with them?) my rear is a 8 lug 60 full float so a have to stay 8 lug ... what would I have to do to them to use high steer arms? the drivers side looks bolt on, but what about the passenger side? would it need machined? how? is there a shop that does that?

Ya the driver side already has an arm on, just unbolt it and have fun getting it off. Driver side does need machining.

John Nutter Enterprises.

I used him to machine my Wagoneer D44 flat tops. I highly recommend him, great guy. Made sure I did indeed have flat tops and disc brakes before I sent them to him so I wouldn't have to spend extra money on something I couldn't use. Had the machine work done the same day he received them, shipped them back the next day.

http://www.jnutter.com/
Here is his site, you can get his email from there.

Edit: sorry, just looked on his site, and he doesn't machine the F250 knuckles.

Good prices as well, $95 for both knuckles machined and tapped, and that included return shipping. A guy at my work who was originally going to help me, who is a professional machinist, even said it was a great deal for the amount of work done.

Everything fit perfect too.

Last edited:
thats the plan (anything wrong with them?) my rear is a 8 lug 60 full float so a have to stay 8 lug ... what would I have to do to them to use high steer arms? the drivers side looks bolt on, but what about the passenger side? would it need machined? how? is there a shop that does that?

I'm running the same flattop knuckles, 78 F250 HP D44 with all stock outer parts. I had to heat that stock steering arm with a butane torch and then an impact driver to get it off. There was a guy on ebay that would mil and tap the passenger side knuckle for $40. Not sure if he is still doing it. I'm also running the matching D60 rear. I bought my high steer arms from Harsh Terrain, drilled and tappered for 1 ton chevy TRE's. They were $120 for the set, they sell the studs and cone washers too. I'm running a waggy pitman arm and a JKS over the axle track bar bracket to get the draglink and trackbar parallel with highsteer. Ordered a heavy duty draglink and tierod built to my measurements with 1ton chevy TRES from Foothill Offroad for $289.

Build thread with lots of pics: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397243

Last edited:
u dont have to run 8 lug outers. u can run 5x5.5 form spindles out.

No, you can not. If you are using F250 knuckles, then you can only run 8 lug F250 outers.

Ford F150 parts WILL NOT fit on an F250 knuckle. The F150 knuckle is shaped different, and has a little indent for the caliper. The F250 knuckle does not have this, so the F150 brakes wouldn't work. That is a moot point as the caliper bracket doesn't fit to begin with. Therefore you are stuck with the F250 brakes, and thus the F250 outer parts as well.

And I'm not just going by what someone said on the internet, I have physically pieced the parts together and they would not fit.

You need 6 stud spindles (Chevy or Jeep) to do that.
Billy

Ya, and the reason I didn't mention the Chevy/FSJ 6 stud spindle was the fact they wouldn't even come close to bolting into the 5 stud Ford knuckles. The stud pattern is different, as well as the outer diameters of the inner part of the spindle.

Ya, and the reason I didn't mention the Chevy/FSJ 6 stud spindle was the fact they wouldn't even come close to bolting into the 5 stud Ford knuckles. The stud pattern is different, as well as the outer diameters of the inner part of the spindle.

Yeah, I actually meant to mention that too, but I had a customer walk in
biggrin.gif

Good lookin' out!
Billy

Back