• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241 OR

redneckboarder

NAXJA Forum User
i have a line on a 241 and i want to know if theres any way possibly to keep the speedo working in my 91 xj, its got a nv3550 trans if that makes a difference. not a huge deal breaker but its be nice not to hafta buy a gps to see if im speeding

Re: 214 OR

i don't think the tranny makes a difference. billyjp2 has a nv241 and he has no speedo, but knows of a way to make it work, but was too lazy to spend the $ on it. he mentioned some adapter that costed in the realm of 150.... if you find another 241 local... let me know

i have a line on a 241 and i want to know if theres any way possibly to keep the speedo working in my 91 xj, its got a nv3550 trans if that makes a difference. not a huge deal breaker but its be nice not to hafta buy a gps to see if im speeding

I don't know about making the speedo work, but the NV241OR Rubicon T-case requires a 23 spline shaft on the transmision. I believe your 91 XJ has a 21 spline, they went to 23 spline in 92. I've read that some late year 91 also got the 23 spline shaft, but you will need to verify what you have. I'm running the 241OR in my 01 XJ with an AW4 Auto tranny and everything matched up including the speedo. You will have to deal with the driveshafts too. I replaced the front tcase yoke with a 1310 CV yoke so I could re-use my front driveshaft. I bought a new ds for the rear. The 241OR is quite a bit larger than the 231, if you are running a tcase skid you might have to modify it.

I don't know about making the speedo work, but the NV241OR Rubicon T-case requires a 23 spline shaft on the transmision. I believe your 91 XJ has a 21 spline, they went to 23 spline in 92. I've read that some late year 91 also got the 23 spline shaft, but you will need to verify what you have. I'm running the 241OR in my 01 XJ with an AW4 Auto tranny and everything matched up including the speedo. You will have to deal with the driveshafts too. I replaced the front tcase yoke with a 1310 CV yoke so I could re-use my front driveshaft. I bought a new ds for the rear. The 241OR is quite a bit larger than the 231, if you are running a tcase skid you might have to modify it.

23-sp on all AX-15, NV3550, and 1991-up AW4.

Just so you know.

i have 3550 23 spline i know that, and the t case already has 1310 yokes on it. ill hafta pm billy and see what he knows
thanks for the replys

If he has an NV3550 swapped in, its 23 spline.

Does your Jeep use an electronic or mechanical speedometer?

IIRC the 91 has a speed sensor on the tcase not a cable that goes to the spedo. If the sensor on the 231 will not fit in the hole of the 241 then you can go to a speed shop and get the right 3 wire sender.

That's funny - the 1990 AX-15 I've got is 23-spline. Hmm...

That's not an '89. ;)

I didn't say they all had it or were common - its not like AMC to be consistant.

But they are out there.

That's funny - the 1990 AX-15 I've got is 23-spline. Hmm...
I think what he is saying is that, maybe, some of the earlier ax-15's that were used in 89 were 21-spline. I have not yet seen a 21-spline Ax-15 tho.

Back