• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stereo Illumination Wiring? Which one?

XJ00RHD

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting a JVC KD-HDR30 stereo in my '00, and the wiring harness adapters do not come with an 'illumination' 'backlighting' or other light-related wire, but the stereo has a place to hook one up so it dims when the headlights are on.
Did I just end up with a crappy harness adapter, or do i need to dig deeper into the dash to tap into a lighting lead?
The adapter connects both the grey and the black plugs for the radio to the pigtail that hooks to the new head unit.
TIA!

The harness I used did not have the illumination wire either. You can just put a wire nut on the original wire and leave it be. The screen shouldn't be bright enough to effect anything during the night.

The wire you are looking for is in the factory harness. With a meter or test light check the remaining wires, turn on the lights and twist the headlight knob to dim the dashlights. When you find the wire it will vary voltage(brightness) with the twisting of the headlight switch. You will also find a wire that turns on and off with the headlight switch but does not vary when twisting the knob. Bad news is that if you use the varying wire it will dim the stereo exactly oppisite the OEM dash lights. Use the wire that turns on and off with the headlight switch. I can explain why if you would like but it gets pretty long winded.:confused1 This is backed up with 12 years of stereo experience and MECP cert.

fair enough! thanks Chris. You wouldn't happen to know if there is any SIMPLE way for a guy thats only a little better than just-glad-he-didn't-burn-himself-with-the-solderingiron to make some sort of small in-dash contraption to make it dim correctly?
I'm not even sure it can dim variably- is there any way to check w/o doing some sort of dry-run or something, e.g.-via documentation?
I'm assuming that the stereo is full bright with no voltage to its lead, whereas the stock stereo is its dimmest with no voltage, and that difference is what causes the problem, and I'm no electrical genius, but it seems like that'd be a hard thing to reverse.
Thanks for your help!

Back