• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on shocks please

BoringDave

NAXJA Forum User
I have some extra money left over from my tax return and wanted to buy some new front shocks but don't know what to do. Current setup is 4.5" Zone (BDS) front springs and rc control arm drops with oe control arms till I build my new ones

I started by flexing out my rig like I read in the regular mod. tech section.
Fully compressed 14 3/4" with no bump stops installed yet also still had 1" of the shaft left to go and 24 1/2" fully extended. The extended measurements was the limit of my current shocks also I could just rattle my spring around on it's top seat.

For shocks I was thinking of 5150's with the stud on top so I wouldn't loose that 1" of up travel ext.25.91 col 15.89 But should I convert to eye type top and run the 7100 short body ext. 24.29 col. 14.06 but then I think I would have to run a 3/4" coil spacer which I don't think will work because when I flexed it out my coils were damn near could bound.

What to do?
Dave

As far as a direction, are you think'n more crawlin or more like built for speed?The 5150,s are good, but 7100,s w/res. is better.What about 12" travel short body's?Have you checked out the T&J shock adapters?

More speed I guess. I am just going to use it out on the sand dunes no huge speed and no jumps. I was thinking 7100 res. because for $100. more I get a rebuildable shock. I kinda looked at the t&j adapters I will look into them and the 12 shorts right now.

Thanks

More speed I guess. I am just going to use it out on the sand dunes no huge speed and no jumps. I was thinking 7100 res. because for $100. more I get a rebuildable shock. I kinda looked at the t&j adapters I will look into them and the 12 shorts right now.

Thanks

could take that about $20-40 more, and go w/ fox 2.0's, which are not only rebuildable, but a joy to do so.

Well I don't know if I did the right thing but I ordered the 5150's. I went to several local shops and talked with them. Some wanted to sell me kings and others told me for what I want to do 5150's would be more then fine or even the 5125's But for the xtra $$$ I figured I may as well get the 5150's. I got them from 4 wheel parts. I know I shouldn't buy things from them but I got them for $101.99 each.

Dave

Back