• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG MT vs. MT KM2

Pathfinder

NAXJA Forum User
Tried to search topics related to experiences with the BFG Mud Terrain vs. the KM2 vesrion, but haven't found any. I have used the regular MT in numerous Wranglers over the years, but I've gotten interested in the new KM2 for my XJ project.

Does anyone have any experiences with this version of the Mud Terrain, and any advantages/disadvantages?

Use will be in a 98 XJ with a 3" lift, as a 31 x 10.50; primarily for light-duty trails and unimproved roads, and occassional snow use. The tires will only be used for such trips, and I'll swap back to an all-terrain for daily driving.

Thanks -

I got the KM2, I've seen a lot of mentions that the non KM2 version is being discontinued. No idea if that is true or not but the KM2 has nothing but good reviews compared to the older MT.

buddy of mine is a tire dealer and I'm pretty sure he said no more MTs
Also have found reviews on TJs and XJs saying the new muds are a great tire, better than the old ones.

KM2 is basically the replacement. Some ppl still sell the pre-KM2's but sure they are just selling what they have left in werehouses.

I have a set of KM2's and absolutly love em, better than the old ones IMO.

The KM2 did away with the stupid "rim guard" on the KM.

I'm sure it looked good on paper, but on the trail that lip let all kids of crap get wedged inside the bead...

So that's one improvement, right there...

Robert

I've been doing a lot of looking at them because it's time for me to get new tires too and i've got my heart set on the km2s. I went and looked at them next to an mtr (my current tires that I LOVE) and I pretty much decided then and there my netx shoes are km2s. As far as compaired to the old mt there's no question which is the better tire imo. Sidewall, tread patturn, sex appeal :smootch:.... lol but seriously, i'd go km2 any day of the week. :)

I have the old M/Ts on my XJ and like them. i haven't used the new KM2s but i have wheeled with a lot of people that use the Krawlers. And the one thing we noticed and they as well, is that the Krawlers suck in mud. so thats the one thing I am concerned with on the new M/T KM2s. Seeing how the tread is almost identical except for some siping. Maybe that helps it I don't know.

I know your looking at these tires in particular, but I highly recommend what I run on my CJ. Maxxiss Bighorns are an excellent all around tire IMO. I run 35s on my CJ and have yet to be dissappointed in their performance on the trail or the street.

I've also noticed that almost every company i call about the KM2's all seem to say that most of the sizes are all on national backorder right now as well. I sent BFG an email asking if they knew when they'd have plenty available and they said they had no idea when the backorder would be done.

Yes they have done away with the mt's. The km2's are their replacement. Their road manners are better ther the mt's which mean they are quieter too.

I agree that the Krawlers suck in the mud, but the km2's are a completely different tire. They took all the good things about the mt's and threw some of the technology of the krawler to make one well rounded tire. These things do very well in the mud as did the mt but now they are stepping it up in the rocks too. Not that the originals wern't holding their own.

Currently I am running the KM MT's but as soon as I wear these down I am going for the KM2's

Yes they have done away with the mt's. The km2's are their replacement. Their road manners are better ther the mt's which mean they are quieter too.

I agree that the Krawlers suck in the mud, but the km2's are a completely different tire. They took all the good things about the mt's and threw some of the technology of the krawler to make one well rounded tire. These things do very well in the mud as did the mt but now they are stepping it up in the rocks too. Not that the originals wern't holding their own.

Currently I am running the KM MT's but as soon as I wear these down I am going for the KM2's

So in other words, you have no idea...:dunno:

Thanks everyone - I didn't know they were discontinuing the MT, but it makes sense now that the KM2 is getting out there. I like the look of the KM2, and was only able to base my impression on the tread design and the overall looks. Your feedback has been great. Looks like it will be the KM2's.

Back