• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which trans is all around better for wheeling?

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
I Live in a place with mostly clay and loose rocks with steep hills...

My question is what is the better transmission to have Right now i have the AW4?

-PJ-

I Live in a place with mostly clay and loose rocks with steep hills...
My question is what is the better transmission to have Right now i have the AW4?

Define better ? What is wrong with your AW-4 ?

If you use a transmission cooler and follow the transmission fluid service intervals listed in your owners manual, your AW-4 will last for 200,000 + miles with no problems.

I wouldnt trade for a auto, i like being able to control my speed alot better on the down hill.

The only suck I really find is going up a steep hill, and I need more tire speed its sometimes impossible to shift to 2nd gear with out the jeep actually losing momentum or stopping before you let your foot off the clutch. If I was building a rock buggy or somthing Id go for auto but wheeling once every other month its not a strain.

It's personal preference. I'd say manuals are tougher in general, but the AW4 or AX15 are both good.
Manual drivers are more talented(and far better looking). :smootch: :)

I have a stick, and some times Its a pain in the but when your on a rock and have to keep from rolling back. I got a hand throttle im hoping it will help. haven't had a chance to use it yet. also with the ax-15 requires you to use a longer driveshaft, which eliminates the ability to use the front shaft upgrade.

they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

AW4 seems to be great in Cherokees.

Having used manuals and driven a top loader four speed in a '66 Stang, I can tell you that a manual is capable of faster times in drag racing, and offers more control in autocross or circuit racing.

BUT we're talking low speed 4WD Jeeping here - where constant loading of the tires keeps you from rolling backwards on a steep hill, not wearing out clutches from excessive slip, or ruining your weekend every five years on a disc replacement when you'd rather be wheeling. (I keep my vehicles at least 15 years.)

Going downhill forwards in 4L will engine brake a lot, you still need good brakes that can take it.

For long term service, ease of maintenance, and overall driveability, the AW4 is it. I'll leave the manuals to Cobra replicars.

Back