• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Install

rws

NAXJA Forum User
I have the box off and the springs removed from my 1990 comanche. I was going to put the rear Dana 44 on my work bench to install new gears with a locker. I was wondering from the gear experts how they applied "drag" to the pinion when pulling a pattern? Normally, with the axle in the vehicle I would just slightly apply the emergency brake while turning the ring gear.

I used my hand and or a block of wood to apply friction to the carrier while I turned the pinion.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
why do people feel the need to put the shafts back in, the brakes on and apply the brake to run a pattern? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
leave the shafts out, leave the driveshaft disconnected, leave the brakes off.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
properly preload the pinion. install your carrier. apply marking compound.
grab the ring gear and turn it through the pinion several times in both directions.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
done, pattern checked!

Yep, I like to use a stubby wrench on a ring gear bolt to 'whizz' the carrier back and forth once quickly. If you're not getting a good spread, then load the carrier with a prybar and crank on the pinion.

hehe...
he's got a stubby...

and turn the ring gear into the pinion, not the pinion into the ring gear.

/\/\ Ditto, put a wrench (5/8's i think) on a ring gear bolt and use that to rotate the carrier around to where your marking compount contacts the pinion.

Back