• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Setup

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
background: i have a xj dana 44 with track lock carrier and thick 4.88's

i found a detroit easy locker and open carrier for 3.55 and high gears i plan to put in with my 4.88's.

my question: do i need to (re)set up my gears (redo the back lash and such) when i swap the carriers? im going from a track lock to a lunchbox locker in an open carrier. TIA

I'm pretty sure that open carrier is for 3.55 and higher, meaning numerically lower gearing. Usually the cut off is 3.55 and numerically lower, and 3.73 and numerically higher (lower gears).

The carrier break for a D44 is 3.73/3.92. If the carrier you have is for 3.73 and numerically lower, then a D44 4.88 thick gear would fit it.

background: i have a xj dana 44 with track lock carrier and thick 4.88's

i found a detroit easy locker and open carrier for 3.55 and high gears i plan to put in with my 4.88's.

my question: do i need to (re)set up my gears (redo the back lash and such) when i swap the carriers? im going from a track lock to a lunchbox locker in an open carrier. TIA
1-I would stay away from the EZ-Locker
2-you will need a 3.55 carrier if you actually have "thick gears"
3-you will need to set the backlash and carrier pre-load(make sure you pull a pattern before you tear down the gears.

so can you use the thick gears on the 3.55 housing and not need a new carrier? Do they make the thick gears in 4.56 too?

Back