• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust pipe coming off header.

XJ_Otto

NAXJA Forum User
The section of exhuast piping directly after the connection between the header and the pipe on my 98 Cherokee has some serious dents in it, like it was bent and caved in a bit or something. Is this the way they come stock or is this something wrong with mine. The PO of the vehicle installed a s****y dual axle back exuast and a single to double muffler. The duals arent even attached to the back of the muffler anymore as they have rusted out. I dont know how far forward the custom exhaust went and am wondering if when replaced, if I should start at the header and go from there?

The OEM downpipe (between the collector flange and the catalytic converter) has a flattened portion right around the front differential and driveshaft for clearance - at stock height and full stuff - from the factory. Chances are, it's the original downpipe.

If you're worried about it, and you're lifted (by at least 3", I'd say) with extended bumpstops, you can have a new one bent up for you without the flat spot. Else, leave it there so you don't tear it out if you fully stuff the front axle.

Yes, those are normal dents in your downpipe. I thought the same thing when I saw one of my XJs with that, then after seeing it on a few others I knew it was normal. It does look restrictive though.

Jeeps
'00 4.0 5sp (built and stuff)

You can buy replacement pipes from Autozone, NAPA, and the like, but while they don't have that crush in the pipe, they are not mandrel bent- were I to replace mine again, I'd have a pipe bent by a shop.

<edit> I'd posted the replacement parts in another thread- if you search a little, you can probably find them. I bought the one Autozone sells, and it's fine for my DD- I haven't had it offroad since I replaced it, but for normal use it's fine. HTH.

Back