• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start problem

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So my 99 has been great no problems i put dynomax exhaust and accel wires cap and rotor. The problem started a month or so ago. When i turned the key it would pause for a few seconds before the engine cranked. this happened a few times and seems to have gotton worse. now i have had times that it just wont start and i have to roll it and put it in gear. you turn the key and hear all the clicks for the acc. but no crank. where do i start to look for this problem it could get me stuck if im not parked on an open hill. thanks to anyone who can help really hoping it wont be a PITA or allot a $$$$$$

Maybe not the starter itself, but the solenoid that receives the signal from the ignition proccess? Yank it an go have it tested for free.

i have a starter laying around so i can just throw that on and see what happens i was thinking short sumplace but that makes sence

Start by freshening your electrical connections. Especially on the battery. Even if they look good. Simple stuff first.

Remove battery cables, clean cables and battery posts until shiny and reattach.

Connections are responsible for a very high percentage of problems. Post back what you find.....

First step is to disassemble, clean, and reassemble all connections, especially the battery, but also at the starter and grounds. When it won't start, have you tried jumping it from another vehicle? The battery could be getting old and may need replacement. You're clicking but not cranking, so it's either low voltage getting to the starter, or the starter is worn out.

He's got a manual trans if he can push it down the hill to start it, right? He might have a "clutch depressed" safety switch, but if it clicks when you turn the key, it eliminates both of those points as problems.

Oh, sorry! Your answering the other one with the automatic.

LIFE begins with the battery. While the battery is getting a full charge you should clean the cable ends and grounds. After the battery is fully charged a load test would be appropriate.

If with a fully charged and tested battery, and all cable ends and grounds renewed, you still have a problem you should jump the B+ and solenoid at the starter, if it cranks then check the starter relay.

I am working on the same problem now on my 1996 xj 5 speed. Battery, connections, starter, all perfect but still CLICK, CLICK. Manual trans but clicks when clutch is in or out. Cannot find the safety switch on the clutch. Were the hell is it? I did find a air line on the slave cylinder that was broken. Could this go to a switch in the trans-case ? HELP

I am working on the same problem now on my 1996 xj 5 speed. Battery, connections, starter, all perfect but still CLICK, CLICK. Manual trans but clicks when clutch is in or out. Cannot find the safety switch on the clutch. Were the hell is it? I did find a air line on the slave cylinder that was broken. Could this go to a switch in the trans-case ? HELP

The Neutral Safety Switch is under the dashboard attached to a bracket next the clutch pedal arm; which is engaged when the clutch pedal is depressed.
When I first purchased my '98 XJ I wired in a small micro toggle switch to bypass the NSS for going up or down hills so the clutch doesnt need to be disengaged to crank the starter.

Back