• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap

jamesxjowner

NAXJA Forum User
hi im new one here and i have a 86 xj and now a 92 xj. i was driving the 92 a few days ago and lost the left rear axle all because the guy i bought it from didnt put the C clip in right. and does any one know what the 86 with the 2.8 and stock as far as rear end. the 92 has a Dana 35. i need a hole new housing so i thought i could take it out of the 86. let me know thanks

cause when the axle came out it rolled and that gear moved and chewed the housing up and i was told if i didnt get a new housing it would happen again because the play it has know.

Its been a while but i believe the salvage yard near me was charging $250 for an entire axle. Not sure if you can find that price near you or not.

Last edited:
you can take it out the whole axle but the gear ratio will be different

I would guess that the original housing is damaged and needs to be replaced.

You can bolt on any Cherokee rear axle to any other Cherokee with no major modifications. You may want to get the matching rear driveshaft.

As long as the donor axle and your Cherokee have the same gear ratio you will have no problems.

At most junkyards the parts from an axle cost more than the complete axle assembly. Just buy a complete axle and bolt it on.

Back