• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unibody cracks around sway bar mount, how to fix

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I noticed a couple small cracks in my unibody over the weekend when I went to disconnect the sway bar for a wheeling trip.

Where the sway bar mount is on the driver's side frame rail there are a couple cracks in the sheet metal surrounding the mount.

Whats the best way to fix this, and is this an area that would benefit from one of the frame strengthening kits out there? Is this likely steering box related?

I had the same problem, I drilled mine out and just welded them. Its held for at least a year of abuse now.

I had the same problem, I drilled mine out and just welded them. Its held for at least a year of abuse now.

What did you drill out?

i would assume the end of the crack. thats old school SOPif you drill out a crack at the end where its about to crack more it will stop the crack ofcourse you must re weld the rest back together

i would assume the end of the crack. thats old school SOPif you drill out a crack at the end where its about to crack more it will stop the crack ofcourse you must re weld the rest back together

x2,

you drill a hole where the crack starts and where it ends to stop it from cracking further. then grind/sand the rust or area to be welded. if you never welded sheet metal, practise first to get the right settings on the welder.

I dont even own a welder, hopefully I can get someone local to help me out for beer.

I'll get some pics of the crack tomorrow when I'm near my Jeep in the daylight. The cracks start at the edge of the frame, so i guess I'd only have to drill in 1 spot.

yes if it starts at the edge of the frame you will only need to drill one hole.

Ya john get get some pics, id be be down to do it for a six pack:cheers:

Have you installed steering box plates yet?
C-ROK's outer plate has a sway-bar mount reinforcement bracket.
It might be time to do it.
http://www.c-rok.com/sb.html

Back