• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Potential New (to me) Jeep

k.smith904

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to look at an xj today and its got a few things wrong with it. So to ensure that there aren't additional things wrong I thought I'd ask the resident experts what to look for to make sure I'm not being screwed over.

Heres the guys description off craiglist:

i have a 96 jeep cherokee 4x4 with front end damage. the only damage done is to the radiator, fan, and front grill as well as the cross linkage for the steering. air bag deployed but the rest of the jeep is in great shape. the vehicle was issued a certificate of destruction. i'm not sure if it can be registered again or not. with a little work it could be used as a good hunting vehicle or maybe even put back on the street or you could part it out. i just don't have the time and need the space back. everything worked great. a/c blew cold, motor ran awesome, 4x4 worked without a problem. all fluids had been recently changed including axles and transfer case. it has the np231 transfer case, aw4 auto transmission, 4.0 liter h.o motor, dana 30 up front and chrysler 8.25 in the rear. tires have good tread, 2 are almost new. and it has a 3.5in suspension lift. price is obo make me an offer. i don't want to part it out unless it doesn't sell soon. thanks.

Theres a pic that shows the center of the front bumper and grill in a _/\_ shape (not as drastic), as if he hit a tree or something.

Can the Jeep start with a bad radiator, so I can ensure it at least runs?

Would the DoT issue a Certificate of Destruction on something if there were just a few minor problems? Is it because the vehicle is older?

What should I check for when I go look at it later today?

Thanks a bunch,
Kev

If you plan on using it as a DD I'd call the DMV and ask what is required to register a vehicle that has been labeled for Certificate of Destruction. If you are going to use it for trail only then offer the guy 400. Do be advised if it needs a radiator then it will need a A/C condenser to get the A/C working. Does not seem to be too bad from that pick but get a closer look. Bring a tape measure. Check the rest of the body for any tweaking.

If you plan on using it as a DD I'd call the DMV and ask what is required to register a vehicle that has been labeled for Certificate of Destruction. If you are going to use it for trail only then offer the guy 400. Do be advised if it needs a radiator then it will need a A/C condenser to get the A/C working. Does not seem to be too bad from that pick but get a closer look. Bring a tape measure. Check the rest of the body for any tweaking.

DMV says I just have to make sure its fixed, bring it in for inspection, and if it passes I'll get a title for it. Could care less about the AC but I'll be sure to check and double-check the frame. Thanks for the advice.

I just bought an '89 with 166k in nice shape daily driver with almost no work for $500 - and its not even smashed up - thats a ripoff should be like $100 (aka scrap value)

You can start it briefly to see if it even runs, but you can't test drive it to check out the tranny, transfer case, etc. Did you see them on TV where they showed the front impact of a Cherokee in slo-mo? I was amazed that it bent all the way back to the gas cap. So check how everything fits, including the back hatch. For everthing bad you see, there will be 2 or 3 other things wrong.

Check the front axle for straightness, the front unibody for square, and make sure the engine hasn't had the waterpump centerpunched or the block cracked. If that is out of your experience, (like me,) then walk away.

It will cost you more in salvage parts with your sweat equity than buying another running '96 off the used car lot. The money says no, don't do it. The risk of serious parts damage and replacement says no, and the asking price of $700 is out of touch with that reality.

Now, if you had a front clip in the back yard, a garage with refrigerator stocked with beer, and 3 friends who are Jeep fanatics, you might make it work. But it would still need paint.

Too high a price unless he's willing to drop it at least in half to move it. Too many variables to consider when you can find ones that run that you can have more confidence buying. Keep looking.

Just to give you another thought. I bought my 96 with a brand new RE 4.5" partial lift.It had less damage but only one fender,header panel and bumper. By the time I was done I had 400 in parts in it due to steering linkage being bent. I paid 300 for mine with a new lift kit that was not finished. The guy wrecked it testing it without even having shocks on:doh:. I since have a total of 1450 in it now including the purchase price as I had removed the lift and put her back to stock. Paint for the front was $250. Also because it sat for a year I ended up doing even more to the brakes. Then I was not able to test the t-case and found a broken chain inside of it. 2wd was fine and 4wd sounded really neat if you could get it to shift. If you still want this one check everything and then check it again. There will be a something you will not catch till you start puttting your Jeep back together.

Back