• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Damper position?

two_shoes

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

A couple questions.

1. With the dist @ #1 cyl, the engine at TDC the Harmonic Damper's notch should be at 0..... Correct?

Dist at #1
DSC00464.jpg

Engine at TDC
DSC00465.jpg

Harmonic Damper is off??? Notch is by the screw driver...
DSC00466.jpg

Should I get a new one due to all the rubber coming out of the front?
I just picked up this XJ and had oil in the coolant (1/4 quart at least) and when I removed the valve cover, I found all this cleanliness...

DSC00463.jpg

Thanks for any help given.... More of a gut check type of thing....
I know I am in for more than I bargained, but this is a good learning experience for me and my boys...
Both the 6 and 11 year olds are helping out...

If the distributor has been removed, then you must verify that the #1
cylinder is on the compression stroke (with both valves closed).

I'd probably replace the harmonic balancer too, if rubber is coming out of it.
It might have spun and thrown the timing off.

Sounds like you have two good apprentice mechanics to help......

In reality, if the rotor is pointing exactly at #1 cylinder post, the damper should be 10-15 degrees BTDC.

I picked up the jeep last week, so I don't know it's history. It had been sitting for a few months. It would start, but had a pretty good clicking from the #1 cyl. You can't see the mark I made on the dist edge, but it is 1/2 way between the screws, and the cyl is just at the apogee of its stroke..... if that helps.... I have turned the crank clock wise to get to this point, watching where the dist cap, notch and cyl are at in relationdship to each other.

Because of the oil in the rad, I took the head off to have it checked for cracks and warpage...

Old_man, so the #1 cyl would be -TDC as well?

Thanks!

Back