• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cranks but does not start

Berrill

NAXJA Forum User
When I try starting my jeep it cranks at high speed but does not start. I have just sent in the jeep to a garage that suspect it is the Crank position sensor. (They are waiting for a replacement past)

Do these sensors fail often and how much do they cost.

My jeep is only 3 months out of warranty and my radiator, battery, passenger seat electric motors and Crank Position Sensor have just failed. Until the last month I have never had any repairs

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks Antony

(PS I had to use my 1942 jeep to tow my 2001 Cherokee out the drive way, it made me appreciate life before fancy electronics)

yes the CPS does break, there are many threads on this, but CPS range from $40 - $200. it all depends where u (they) buy it.

I live in Cape Town South Africa, so im always interested what it costs in the USA, I have just been charged the equilivant of $ 350.00

ok didnt know u lived there., but that is US prices.

Berrill said:
I live in Cape Town South Africa, so im always interested what it costs in the USA, I have just been charged the equilivant of $ 350.00
did that include labor?
I suppose that's not horrible. Figure a diag fee, and it's a pain to replace, so maybe one or two hours labor.
Depending on the labor rate that doesn't sound out of line.

Berrill said:
WWW.asp-eberle.com in Germany ships same day and are dependable. There spares aren't the best, but often good enough and are mid priced. There guarantee policy is first class. They ship world wide and are familiar with the local tariffs and such, usually UPS.
There price for your CPS would likely be around a hundred Euro's or $125, shipped, likely around $175 (or a little less). They are updating there cataloge, for newer models, I often send a e-mail photograph of the sensor, particularly O2 sensors, the plug end especially. Some of the export models have some odd parts in them, Eberle does a good job of sorting out the differences.
Back in the old days, when Jeeps were rare here in Europe, I kept a load of common stuff on the shelf in my garage. And tried to order way ahead of the curve. The thing about spares, is they store well and if you decide you don't need them and decide to sell (E-bay) you rarley loose anything, the cost keeps right on going up all the time. Your purchase price after a few years, is a discount resale price.

Hi 87 Manche, the price does not include Labour, however Labour is much cheaper here in South Africa.

8 Mud, you may be interested to know the reason why I bought my jeep is because it belonged to the German Embassy in Johannesburg.

It was one of the last Cherokees to be built as it was delivered to the embassy in July 2001 and was the personal transport of the sectary to the German Ambassador to South Africa.

When I went to look at the car they had sent it for a service as they told me German Embassy policy is to service and check all cars before selling them. I was very impressed and bought it right on the spot.

It was a great buy but lately its been giving a few problem,

Thanks to you all for the advise.

Back