• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting external slave cylinder to internal?

61scout80

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a disassembled 2.5 liter xj. everything from the flywheel back was missing. So i bought an AX5 locally not knowing there were 2 different slave cylinders.

The jeep is set up for external and the trans is set up for internal. is buying and installing this kit all i need to convert jeep to the internal slave cylinder set up?

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=7945

Also, the little stud that the slave cylinder retaining sheet metal bolt is supposed slip on is missing. would it be a bad idea to tap this, or use a self tapping screw to hold the slave cylinder in place?

Advance Adapters has an awesome phone staff, the guy I talked to knew exactly what I needed and what I didn't. They are actually pretty cheap too. I found out they no longer stock internal slave cyl's for the 92 AX-15. They have the kit I need to do the swap.

I thought the only change to the tranny was a different front bearing retainer plate, and converting the tranny was just a matter of swapping the retainer plate and bell housing.

You'd be replacing the slave, so hopefully future fails are not an issue. Many folks deliberately convert to the external setup as its more reliable and far easier to replace the slave cylinder if it starts leaking down the road (and an internal slave leak can contaminate the clutch).

On second thought, looking at the diagram, I'm confused. I thought the later Jeeps had the external slave but the diagram looks like the internal setup and the caption says 1994-2000? Are the AX5 and AX15 clutches and slaves the same as well?

On second thought, looking at the diagram, I'm confused. I thought the later Jeeps had the external slave but the diagram looks like the internal setup and the caption says 1994-2000? Are the AX5 and AX15 clutches and slaves the same as well?

i never seen the AX15. my AX5 looks like the diagram, with a hydrolic tube on each side of the transmission.

I found this picture in a 2.5 to 4.0 swap thread. this slave is different than mine.

newthrowout_slave.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=969906&highlight=ax5+ax15+swap

You can swap the bearing retaining plate. I did on my YJ a few years ago when I had to replace the tranny. The replacement transmission was set up for the internal slave cylinder and I had external slave cylinder on the jeep, just a simple swapping of the plates and my problem was solved.

You can swap the bearing retaining plate. I did on my YJ a few years ago when I had to replace the tranny. The replacement transmission was set up for the internal slave cylinder and I had external slave cylinder on the jeep, just a simple swapping of the plates and my problem was solved.

the issue with that for me is i bought this jeep with no transmission, then found this tranny elsewhere. I have nothing to pull those parts from without getting another trans. just trying to find the most sensible and economical way to get the clutch to work.

I tried to order this through my local 4 wheel parts store today and the guy told me they had at least a 3 week back order. i was hoping to have this way before that.... :banghead:

Back