• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch problems...

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
I have had this 91' cherokee for a coupe weeks now. Just yesterday the clutch peddle felt a little softer than usual. Today I drove it around town, it was being difficult to put into first. Just a few hour ago I get in it and it wont go into any gear.. I pump the clutch pedal some and it finally goes into first. Parked it for a little while. Got in it again and now it doesn;t want to go into any gear, I got it into 4th but that is about it. I can feel "some" pedal, but not like it should ne..any suggestions of what is wrong with it would be appreciated...

Check the reservoir to see if theres any fluid....I believe its under the hood near the brake fluid reservoir. Somewhere in that area...

The slave is going bad and leaking! Just a hunch....:eyes:

Check for fluid. Ususally the clutch will work again after more is added, but it's probably leaking at the slave or master. Don't know if your year is outside the bell housing (good) or inside (more work to replace). Brake fluid is the correct juice to use.

Like they said, check fluid at master(by the brake booster in the ds corner). Look for leaks around the master, on the firewall. Look inside at the pedal linkage, look on the fuse box(where it drips/gathers). Look at the slave cylinder and line going to it. If no signs of external leaks, it could be leaking inside the bell housing. You might notice some drips(how to distinguish from the leaky rms?) coming out of the housing. Now if the fluid is fine and there are no leaks, it could be the internal seals of the master or slave have failed, so there's no pressure being built and the slave isn't moving. Sometimes there will be rubber(?) debris in the bottom of the master(you should always be able to see the bottom). Then there could be a clutch is in order. . .

This morning I put some clutch fluid in it. It seels to be working ok now. When it stops raining here I will def look under there and see if I can see any leaks...thanks for the help

Back