• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel drive banging/binding?

1988cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so whenever i put my jeep into full time or part time and start to drive it alittle it will start to make a banging sound, it seems to happen more if the steering wheel is turned alittle. it sounds like its in the front so i replaced the 3 u joints and the centering kit on the front drive shaft and the ujoints on the front axle are good too. what do you guys think it could be? maybe the bearing at the output of the TC to the front driveshaft? this banging almost seems like a binding action

p.s. i have a NP 242 TC

thanks a lot
mike

Do you have a D30 disco? Might not be fully engaging, worn fork, bad/failing vacuum motor.

its not a good idea to drive on dry pavement in 4wd. It is not as bad in the "full time" option of the 242, but as a rule of reference if the tires don't slip a little it will bind and make alot of noise.

Bent axle?

Back