• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best rear suspension set up

99xjstl

NAXJA Forum User
I looked on rubicon im trying to get to about 8 inch lift total when im out of school. i fount 7.5" coils for 190 a pair, now i was thinking about just geting upper shock mounts and making it rear coil, im going to replace my 30 up front with a 44 so i was going to use the axle mounts off that on my 35 and change shafts etc... But how hard is it to make a 4 link rear? Any other suggestions that are cheaper and or easier?

I shouldn't reply to this. Heard somewhere about not having anything nice to say, shouldn't say anything at all.

:nono:

want cheaper and easier? Buy someone elses that already has 4 link.

I have no experience purchasing or installing 4 link. Have you searched?

No i havent really started searching on it i was just trying to get ideas, yea ill be keeping the 35 in the rear for now changing out shafts, etc...

why bother using the dana 30 mounts? You'll likely screw them up cutting them off the 30, and the facoty sheetmetal is weak anyway. I've got two beat up LCA mounts to prove it.
Why don't you look into the clayton kit.

idk what i want to do yet thats why im asking around. I would like coil in the rear , but i might just put boomerang shackles on it and call it done. for now.

99xjstl said:
i might just put boomerang shackles on it and call it done. for now.

:twak:

99xjstl said:
idk what i want to do yet thats why im asking around. I would like coil in the rear , but i might just put boomerang shackles on it and call it done. for now.
A couple questions for you.

1. Do you play in the rocks or run around town in this thing?

2. Do you have to have 8" of lift?

3. What size tire do you want to run?

You would be far better off swapping the rear out for an 8.25, 44, or 8.8 and leaving the front axle in there if youre going to stay under a 36" tire. Spending all that money and time building a 44 for the front and leaving the 35 out back is like wearing a suit and tie with flip flops.

2 Scenarios,

If you want tires less than 36" then you dont need 8" of lift. 6" lift with 36's is perfect on and off road. You will have to trim to fit that size tire unless you go to a retarded amount of suspension lift.
If you say "well i dont want to cut my fenders", this tells me you are worried about the aesthetics of your vehicle therefore you probably dont wheel it; therefore big tires, axle swaps, and coil sprung rear-ends are probably not practical.

OR

If tires bigger than 36's are in mind then you can justify 8" of lift. If this is the case then the d35 is trash and you are really shooting yourself in the foot if you keep it. The 44 will need alloy shafts if you plan on wheeling it with big tires. Rolling around town, it will probably be ok. The 35 wont. Take off at a stoplight holding your mouth the wrong way and it will shit a purple twinkie. Coils in the rear are not necessary to get to 8". Go with a 6" leaf pack and 1.75" shackle. (most leaf packs give a little more than advertised).

or just get a cheaper 6" lift, and a currie steering setup, and a SYE and 35's on 15x8 wheels and a quality set of 1.25" wheel spacers. Then a set of 4:88 gears for the front and if the rear is a D35 then replace it ASAP!

Thats about the the cheapest you can go and do this semi-right...

olivedrabcj7 said:

You would be far better off swapping the rear out for an 8.25, 44, or 8.8 and leaving the front axle in there if youre going to stay under a 36" tire. Spending all that money and time building a 44 for the front and leaving the 35 out back is like wearing a suit and tie with flip flops.

2 Scenarios,

If you want tires less than 36" then you dont need 8" of lift. 6" lift with 36's is perfect on and off road. You will have to trim to fit that size tire unless you go to a retarded amount of suspension lift.
If you say "well i dont want to cut my fenders", this tells me you are worried about the aesthetics of your vehicle therefore you probably dont wheel it; therefore big tires, axle swaps, and coil sprung rear-ends are probably not practical.

OR

If tires bigger than 36's are in mind then you can justify 8" of lift. If this is the case then the d35 is trash and you are really shooting yourself in the foot if you keep it. The 44 will need alloy shafts if you plan on wheeling it with big tires. Rolling around town, it will probably be ok. The 35 wont. Take off at a stoplight holding your mouth the wrong way and it will shit a purple twinkie. Coils in the rear are not necessary to get to 8". Go with a 6" leaf pack and 1.75" shackle. (most leaf packs give a little more than advertised).

I love your tie/suit and flip flop reference. Decide what you want to use your Jeep for and then build it for that. I run 8" lift with 37" MTRs and it works good. 8" is a lot of lift, try to keep it as low as possible and don't be afraid to trim, especially in the front, that is all cosmetic...in the back is where you have to watch you don't cut through the pinch welds and seperate the inner and outer sheet metal.
If love my setup, but if I did it again I'd run 4-5" lift, 33's and my dana 30 arb/xj dana 44 detroit setup with 4.56 gears. I ran this with 35's and then went onto 37's and Hp44/9" with the fixins. 35's wouldn't even be that bad, but really think about what you want to do, whether it be street drive your Jeep and wheel a little on the weekends or if you want a full blown wheeler and you have or are getting another daily driver. 35"+ tires don't make for a good daily driver, plus a sleeper trail assassin is just awesome, make those CJ/YJ/TJ guys looks stupid. :D

Big Red said:
35's wouldn't even be that bad, but really think about what you want to do, whether it be street drive your Jeep and wheel a little on the weekends or if you want a full blown wheeler and you have or are getting another daily driver. 35"+ tires don't make for a good daily driver, plus a sleeper trail assassin is just awesome, make those CJ/YJ/TJ guys looks stupid. :D

What he said about the 35s. My XJ is still my daily driver but I dont do long distance and dont spend a lot of time driving my XJ around so the 35s work for me. I have a Ford 8.8 in the rear and a HP Dana 44 up front with alloy shafts and with 35s I can keep up with the guys in the local club running 38s to 42s. Trail sleeper is where its at and still be streetable :D

AARON

olivedrabcj7 said:

2 Scenarios,

OR

...very well said

It will be a straight offroader when im done with school, and i have already shaved at least two inches off the fenders to fit 33's under a 4.5" lift so cosmetics doesnt matter to me i wheel about every weekend out here through fourwheeler trailers up rock hill climbs and through mud. biggest tire i want to go with is a 35. so probably end up at 6.5" lift just add 2 inches ontop of what i have.

Back