• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinker Q's

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed some steel light houseings with a 4" round running/brake light, and a small trailer type light as a blinker, and a small LED as reverse light. All the lights operate as supposed to except the blinkers. Once I cut the existing lights to use the harness on the new lights the blinker would light up but not blink. It just runs constant. I still have 4 way flashers and when I turn the blinker on it just stays on rather than blinks. I know it is not my light because both sides do it and front and rear, and it is not blinking at the dash so what should I look at?

So your little trailer lights that you wired in stay on constant when you have the turn signals on, correct? And yours is a '96? Not sure what year it changed, but later models had a special "combination flasher", not the old standard above. These work both the emergency flasher and turn signals. Your "trailer/blinker" is not an LED, is it? Sometimes these don't draw enough juice to make the blinker work.

With the LED trailer lights (if that's what you have), the resistance is different versus an incandescent bulb. The flasher works off electrical resistance, which is why it behaves differently when a bulb is blown out. Basically, your flasher isn't getting enough resistance from the LED bulb.

Some people supposedly have had luck replacing their flasher unit with an electronic one, but on my old car, I spliced in a resistor from Radio Shack onto each turn signal wire at the tail. I measured the difference in resistance between the incandescent bulb and the LED, and then I just purchased a resistor of approximately that value. Worked great.

It is a steel tail light houseing and the blinker and side marker is a marker light from a trailer, NOT LED but resistance could still be the issue. I will pick up a resister and try it out. How would I measure difference in resistance to determine the size resister needed?

These are the lights (not on my jeep on the guys jeep I go tthem from)
DSC05962.JPG

DSC06033.JPG

DSC06978.jpg

Ok seeing how I am electronocly STUPID how would I measure resistance with a multimeter

There will be a setting on the multimeter to measure ohms. The symbol will look like an upside down horseshoe (it's really an uppercase omega). Set the dial to that, and put the probes on the conductors of the bulb. One conductor will be at the base, the other is the "frame" of the bulb. Doesn't matter which way you put the probes.

The multimeter will spit out a reading. Do the same thing for the new bulb. If they're really close, resistance might not be the issue. But if there's a significant difference, subtract the two resistances and get a resistor from Radio Shack or wherever to make up the difference. Splice it inline on the power side and you should be golden.

I had stock bulbs in there and when I installed the new ones wala no blinky.

Sam very good explanation Thanks

Back