• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Stainless Braided Brake Lines

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Why can't I find any info on people making their own stainless steel braided brake lines with this stuff?
dunno.gif

Billy

Why can't I find any info on people making their own stainless steel braided brake lines with this stuff?
dunno.gif

Billy
Because it a really bad idea,all the parts are out there,but theres no substitute for "crimped" lines,and they are "dirt" cheap.

Because it a really bad idea,all the parts are out there,but theres no substitute for "crimped" lines,and they are "dirt" cheap.

I could accept, "It's probably not worth it" with no reasoning to back it up, but if you want me to believe it's a "really bad idea", I'm going to need more than just that!

How is it different than home-flared hard lines?

And cost isn't the only argument...

There's also efficiency; having lines that aren't too long and aren't too short...

Being able to carry bulk hose for easier trail repairs...

Being able to order the parts now, before I can take measurements...

dunno.gif

Billy

I could accept, "It's probably not worth it" with no reasoning to back it up, but if you want me to believe it's a "really bad idea", I'm going to need more than just that!

There's also efficiency; having lines that aren't too long and aren't too short...

dunno.gif

Billy
I Work on heavy equipment most of the time on hydraulic system. seeing 2,000-8,000 psi. A Crimp hose is always better over a Compression style hose. A union sytle is not ideal but will work for a temp fix. I wouldnt trust it for a brake system. Fuel lines and powersteering is ok. Crimping is the only way to go. Like stated above there are pre-made lines avail cheap.

dunno.gif

Billy
Hard lines dont come apart!We are talking about some "serious" pressures here!I also dont think it will be cheaper,the line is pretty cheap but the fittings really add up.You also end up with more joints/connections than a pre-made line.

Hard lines dont come apart!We are talking about some "serious" pressures here!I also dont think it will be cheaper,the line is pretty cheap but the fittings really add up.You also end up with more joints/connections than a pre-made line.
I did the fuel system on my mustang a while ago...the fittings were 5-8$ a piece and add up quick.

Yeah, cost wasn't so much my motivation.
Billy
What is then?Ive been doing SS lines for 35 years,even braklines.But I would take a store bought brake line over making one unless it is not available(and that almost impossible these days,things were alot more limited years ago).Plus youll get a warranty!

I Work on heavy equipment most of the time on hydraulic system. seeing 2,000-8,000 psi. A Crimp hose is always better over a Compression style hose. A union sytle is not ideal but will work for a temp fix. I wouldnt trust it for a brake system. Fuel lines and powersteering is ok. Crimping is the only way to go. Like stated above there are pre-made lines avail cheap.

I also work on heavy equipment and we've made all our own hoses for as long as the USMC has had these vehicles, I've never heard of a hydraulic hose failing because of the compression fitting. I'm not saying that compression fittings are better than crimped, but I don't see why people would shun them.
I personally run store bought ones because they're cheaper.

someone please correct me if im wrong

but i remember reading somewhere that using anything other then normal steel brake lines, will give the brake pedal a softer, spongy feeling.

this is because the insides of the stainless steel brake lines are able to flex and expand, and then your brake pedal wont be as firm or as hard., this is why vehicles use as much steel brake line as they possibly can.

there you go! i hope this info is correct.

I don't trust these things on street driven vehicles that get lots of miles. They're fine for competition, or low miles, but not for long term punishment.

A notable feature of the Russel DIY lines- the swaged fitting on the rubber line actually flares out, like a trumpet. So it the fitting not cut into the hose, with repeated flexing.

I had a near accident when my Crown Performance lines self-destructed. The sharped-edged, swaged fitting cut into the clear, plastic hose sheath. That cause the braided line to kink there, and collapse. Which locked my passenger side caliper. Not good. Got so hot it burned the banjo fitting, and caliper seals. Only got about 15k on the front lines, the rear is still ok. Seems they like to bend, but not twist.

I run cheapo rubber lines again, and the pedal feel is very firm. No loss of braking whatsoever from going back to rubber brake hoses.

i dont know about where you guys are but around here there are a few hydraulic shops that make custom braided steel lines to length for you and they are cheaper then getting them off line

someone please correct me if im wrong

but i remember reading somewhere that using anything other then normal steel brake lines, will give the brake pedal a softer, spongy feeling.

this is because the insides of the stainless steel brake lines are able to flex and expand, and then your brake pedal wont be as firm or as hard., this is why vehicles use as much steel brake line as they possibly can.

there you go! i hope this info is correct.

I've heard that. I'm not saying I buy into it necessarily, but if you do... isn't that a good reason to have the perfect length for any flex lines you need?
Billy

I have made some in the past with similar parts for my job they work fine in normal use but seeing how they go together and the amount of movement our rigs put the brake lines through I chose to have mine made with crimped ends. I work on some crazy big brake systems and haven't seen any of the hoses I made fail on the trucks BUT I have pulled one apart on the bench and really it did not hold as well as I would want with the flex we get and the chance we have of snags etc.

I don't trust these things on street driven vehicles that get lots of miles. They're fine for competition, or low miles, but not for long term punishment.

A notable feature of the Russel DIY lines- the swaged fitting on the rubber line actually flares out, like a trumpet. So it the fitting not cut into the hose, with repeated flexing.

I had a near accident when my Crown Performance lines self-destructed. The sharped-edged, swaged fitting cut into the clear, plastic hose sheath. That cause the braided line to kink there, and collapse. Which locked my passenger side caliper. Not good. Got so hot it burned the banjo fitting, and caliper seals. Only got about 15k on the front lines, the rear is still ok. Seems they like to bend, but not twist.

I run cheapo rubber lines again, and the pedal feel is very firm. No loss of braking whatsoever from going back to rubber brake hoses.

The Crown lines are crimped, DOT approved lines, right? Are you arguing against stainless steel braided lines in general?
Thanks for the input,
Billy

Back