• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft question

chrisja77

NAXJA Forum User
Got a question about front driveshafts. I have a 5 speed, so I know it has a shorter driveshaft than the auto tranny. The question I have is this. I have it sitting on 7" of lift now. Can I swap out my front driveshaft for an auto shaft? I wasn't for sure if the extra lift would lengthen the front drivetrain long enough to be able to go with an auto shaft. That way I can carry another stock shaft that would work on front or rear...

Seven inches on what?That makes all the difference in the world?
And I'll just ask it now,are you "over-compensating" for something?

It is a 95 2 door XJ with a 231 and AX 15. The lift was a 6.5" lift that sits at 7". I'm hoping that it will settle back to 6 or 6.5 after all is said and done. I had a buddy that was running to the JY, so I told him to pick me up a front driveshaft for a 5 speed so I could have a spare. He got one off of a 92 or 93 he said, but it doesn't look anything like what is on there now. Right now, mine looks like an auto driveshaft. The one he picked up, was just a solid bar that had a funny looking joint on the other end that bolted right to the TC with 4 bolts. I will post up a pic of it later. It looks ODD! Is that what comes stock with the 5 speeds, and do I already have an auto driveshaft, or did he pick up something off the wall?

It is a 95 2 door XJ with a 231 and AX 15. The lift was a 6.5" lift that sits at 7". I'm hoping that it will settle back to 6 or 6.5 after all is said and done. I had a buddy that was running to the JY, so I told him to pick me up a front driveshaft for a 5 speed so I could have a spare. He got one off of a 92 or 93 he said, but it doesn't look anything like what is on there now. Right now, mine looks like an auto driveshaft. The one he picked up, was just a solid bar that had a funny looking joint on the other end that bolted right to the TC with 4 bolts. I will post up a pic of it later. It looks ODD! Is that what comes stock with the 5 speeds, and do I already have an auto driveshaft, or did he pick up something off the wall?

The one he picked up was not a double cardain(CV) shaft, some early applications had a single cardain on the front from what I have read, I have not actually seen one.

It's odd looking. I'll get a pic posted up in a few. Guess I'll take it back.

any ideas if one out of an auto will work? There are TONS of auto XJ's around here, but almost no manuals in the JY's.

Does it look like a beer can,if so its the early style.

Forgot to take pics today. It is just a solid shaft about 1" in diameter with a ujoint on the end that bolts up to the axle, and a "can" looking thing that bolts to the transfer case with 4 bolts. Looks like a ujoint might be built into the "can" thing. It is also threaded on the axle end. Looks like you could adjust the length. Other than that, it is a solid shaft and I don't see any way for it to adjust for suspension travel...

So, anyone know if I could use the front driveshaft off of an auto on my manual tranny? Or does anyone at least know the length differences?

There are TONS of auto XJ's around here, but almost no manuals in the JY's.

So, anyone know if I could use the front driveshaft off of an auto on my manual tranny? Or does anyone at least know the length differences?

take a tape measure with you. measure your driveshaft length and add how much you need for it work. go to junk yard and measure the length of the front shafts. i thought most people use the front shaft from a zj.

just to clarify, are you looking to replace your front shaft or did you do a sye and want to use a front shaft for the rear.

I am wanting to run a front shaft from an auto in place of the front shaft for my manual. I know the auto shaft is longer, but I don't know how much. I didn't know if with 7" of lift I would be better off with an auto shaft to get a little more length...without going too long.

im guessing the shaft your frined got ya looks something like this
file0008mn2.jpg

thats what i had in mine before i lifted it.its a manual vers. i wound up getting one out of a auto. i remember comparing them and the auto one was about 4 or so inches longer then the manual. i had to have mine shortened.

I am running an auto front shaft on my MJ with a 4.0 AX15 4x4. It has a 7.5 inch lift and a TNT longarm on it. It works for me I that helps ya.

Yes BenDiesel, that is what he picked up. Mine is a double cardon though, and looks like the auto shaft. Thanks comancheon33, that's what I was curious about. I'll go pick up an auto shaft and see what happens. Is yours a high pinion or low pinion?

ya no prob. i did wind up switching mine out for the double cardon shaft. had to replace the input yoke to do it lol.

Back