• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Console?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone ever swapped in a floor console from a grand cherokee into an XJ? I've seen alot of overhead consoles done, but never a floor console.

The ZJ one is very similar to the 97+ cherokee console, but has a cleaner front that slopes to the floor rather than cutting off. It has better cup holders which is the main reason I want it.

cherokee consoles have a vent that runs thru them right? i think youd hae trouble hiding the vent tube using a zj console plus the floor shifters would be tricky. fab one up out of a stock console, wood, and fiberglass with a stock lid for the armrest and build it how you want.

gunthagunth said:
cherokee consoles have a vent that runs thru them right? i think youd hae trouble hiding the vent tube using a zj console plus the floor shifters would be tricky. fab one up out of a stock console, wood, and fiberglass with a stock lid for the armrest and build it how you want.

I've got an M/T so as long as I have a hole the shifter can go through I'm not worried about it.

As for the vent, I'm not sure, never looked under it. I could always take it out, rarely do I have rear seat passengers anyway.

IslanderOffRoad said:
The ZJ one is very similar to the 97+ cherokee console...

IslanderOffRoad said:
...I'm not sure, never looked under it.
I say grab a wrench (screwdriver), roll up your sleeves and take it apart. You'll soon realize there's more to this swap than meets the eye.

Don't know anything about the ZJ consoles, but the AC vent on XJ's runs through the bottom of the center console. If you open the lid, unscrew the 4 bolts, you can see the AC vent that directs air to the back seats. Of course you could just cut that out, or redirect it. It's just a hard plastic pipe, but nothing major. Like you said you rarely have back seat passengers to even keep cool.
Basically, it would be an easy thing to remove and not too much of a hassle at all.

Hope this helped in some way at all!

Chris

Back