• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion angle

shawnxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i'm prepping my axles for my 8.8 swap and repairing the botch job the previous owner did on my d30 and i have a couple questions that i couldn't find answers for or found too many answers for.

1. i've read about a couple different ways to setup my pinion angles. some say go up a few degrees for every 2 inches of lift. some say make your pinion parrellel with your output shafts on your tcase. what's the prefered naxja method of setting up a pinion on both front and rear axles?

2. on the front end should my knuckles be 90 degrees to the pavement or should they be set to some other degree? right now they're leaning about 10 degrees towards the back on the xj

On the rear the pinion should be 1* below the driveshaft if you have an SYE and double cardan shaft. If you don't have an SYE the pinion should be parallel to the transfer case output shaft. On the front it should be 1* above the shaft, but I don't know if that 1* matters that much since it won't see much wrap due to the lack of leaves.

Last edited:
With a SYE and double cardain(CV) shaft the pinion should be pointing at just below the output shaft on the T-case

On slip yoke, single cardain type shafts the pinion and output shaft should be on imaginary parallel lines that never intersect and should be within 2 degrees of each other.

I use to have a illustration that explains what I am saying!!!

BTW, where do you guys reccomend putting the angle finder on the axle to find the pinion angle?

I was going to measure the shaft installed, then remove it and measure the yoke on the axle. But I realized that moving the pinion angle will also effectively change the axle shafts angle.

School me on the process please!

BTW, where do you guys reccomend putting the angle finder on the axle to find the pinion angle?

I was going to measure the shaft installed, then remove it and measure the yoke on the axle. But I realized that moving the pinion angle will also effectively change the axle shafts angle.

You need to put the angle finder on a flat spot on the yoke wherever you can find one to measure pinion angle.

For a single cardan shaft you need to measure at the t-case output and at the pinion and match that angle as closely as you can

Just put the angle finder on the back of the housing next to the cover,there is a machined spot on each side.

Back