• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another dumb Axel question

Narfostey

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum. I recently got a '94 Sport for my son's first driver. My 4X4 experience is limited. I appreciate reading the good info on this Forum (Flash codes anyone???:doh:.

I know my way around vehicle and understand tech.

The Question Please:

I was wondering if any one has ever thought of (or if it even possible to) putting Manual hubs on a D30. My '04 F250 has old school manual hubs and gets similar gas mileage at 2X the weight. Seems like it might be a way to help the XJ's mileage a little.

Thanks!

You can put manual hubs on a dana 30, but I don't think it will help gas mileage. My XJ got 17 miles per gallon in the city with 31 inch tires and 3.07 gears. I changed the axles to 3.55 and got 22 miles per gallon. I think 22 is pretty good. What are you getting?

You can put manual hubs on a dana 30, but I don't think it will help gas mileage. My XJ got 17 miles per gallon in the city with 31 inch tires and 3.07 gears. I changed the axles to 3.55 and got 22 miles per gallon. I think 22 is pretty good. What are you getting?

We're seeing about 15 around town with stock gears and 30's.

While I was doing a brake inspection, I went to spin the rotor to check for bearing play and such. The caliper was off. It caught my attention just how much friction seemed to be in turning the diff and the front drive shaft. Only one wheel was in the air so drag and friction was prolly multiplied around 2X or so, but it still seemed like a lot.

A couple of months ago the Ford went thru the front pads so I was familiar with that Axel and those hubs spin free unlocked.

I'm pretty sure most automatics with the 4.0 came with 3.55 gears stock. The manuals are 3.07. If it was a manual I was going to suggest getting a set of automatic axles or regearing the axles. All sorts of things can cause bad gas mileage, though. I changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, and the IAC motor before I got 17mpg.

Thanks for the replies!

We're not done tuning it up. I think the Flash code says the O2 sensor is done as well.

I have been impressed with Synthetic in gear boxes, maybe a little in the diffs would go a way toward freeing things up a little.

New mileage calculations, as of 2008, for your xj is 15 combo, 14 city, 18 hwy.

Back