• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BENT AXLE HOUSING PICS

curbdog17

NAXJA Forum User
DOES THIS LOOK RIGHT TO ANYONE?
100_1987.jpg

WHEN I PULLED IT APART THE AXLE SHAFT WAS ALMOST TOUCHING THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSING TOWARD THE FRONT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE.
100_1986.jpg

100_1994.jpg

tossed out the old one today
029-1.jpg

got some new u joints in
031-1.jpg

new axle need a quick rebiuld
030-1.jpg

get the locker back in
033.jpg

and we are ready to go.

i put some gussets on the d30 today
004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

and i know my welds are not great but im learning.

tossed out the old one today
Toss it out! Are you CRAZY? Pressure wash it, touch up the paint, and hang it on the wall! That's a keeper if I ever saw one. You'll have everyone who sees it begging to know how it happened. How DID it happen? I've seen several bent housings, but I've never seen one that was bent BACK before(except for traffic accidents that usually smash the front of the wagon). What did you do, jump it and do a serious face plant?

Inquiring minds want to know,...
;)

Gussets should be at least 3/16",that doesnt even look like 1/8".

I housing was bent in a newbe recovery, totally my bad. i was stuck in the mud and had no front recovery point so i put the recovery strap around the axle. YES I AM AN FOOL.

Gussets should be at least 3/16",that doesnt even look like 1/8".

That's exactly what i was thinking. That thickness + those welds = bent/torn off gusset. What type of welder are you using? And don't worry, we've all laid down beads that look like that:laugh3: Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it...

The steal is 12 ga. its what i had around. my thinking is any type of gusset is better than none.

That's true i guess but if you're putting enough strain on the axle to bend it like that, you might wanna go with something stronger than that, maybe an axle truss?

Edit: just saw your post about the reason it was bent. Hopefully you now have recovery points and you won't have to worry about that happening again

...,my bad. i was stuck in the mud and had no front recovery point so i put the recovery strap around the axle.
Well, that explains the banana!

Well, we all make errors. :rof: That was an expensive one for you, but hey, nobody got hurt, so in a way, it was a cheep lesson.

Look long and hard at that axle housing when you go to put tow hooks/shackle points on the front of your jeep. Learn two lessons from that mistake. Don't cheep out on bracing behind the bumper. 'Specially on the XJ with the sheet metal frame, the tow hook brackets should extend to AT LEAST the back of the steering box mount, and preferably also pick up the next two holes in the frame behind that.

The most memorable "recovery" pic. I've ever seen was of a YJ wrangler. It had about a 5" wide snatch strap attached to the front bumper by a shackle. The other end of the strap also had a shackle, attached to a recovery point. The recovery point/shackle was threaded back through the windshield, and through the driver's seat headrest. Seems the pulling vehicle lost the shackle and it slammed back into the wrangler hard enough to penetrate the seat back. Luckily, no one was in the wrangler when it happened. 'Wish I had a copy of that photo.

The most memorable "recovery" pic. I've ever seen was of a YJ wrangler. It had about a 5" wide snatch strap attached to the front bumper by a shackle. The other end of the strap also had a shackle, attached to a recovery point. The recovery point/shackle was threaded back through the windshield, and through the driver's seat headrest. Seems the pulling vehicle lost the shackle and it slammed back into the wrangler hard enough to penetrate the seat back. Luckily, no one was in the wrangler when it happened. 'Wish I had a copy of that photo.

I remember that picture, I wish I saved it as well. Its floating around somewhere.

Another one that's up there is the recovery video of the people who attached a strap to the roll bars of a YJ stuck in mud, pulled it sideways, and ripped the body off the frame.

Back