• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front U-Joints

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I need to replace my front axle U-Joints on both sides. You know...the ones with the "inner" C-Clip holding them in the shaft. The ones that are right behind the wheel hubs.

Anyway, I went to Parts America here and bought a pair. But the "Caps" look smaller then the OEM Spicer ones currently installed. I don't want to dismantle them to find out nothing goes back together.

I think I am going to take them back.

So.....where do I go to get the correct u-joints? Any part numbers to look for as well.
Also, anyone ever get them from the dealer? How much were they?

Thanks all.

What year? Search is your friend,small joint-260-x Dana # Lrg joint 297-x or the new # 760-x.sm-1.063",Lrg-1.188"
Wayne

Sorry bout that. Its a 98 4.0L Non antilock...yet it looks to take the larger joint. The 1.188" which is just a little over 3 centimeters. I just measured and I came up with a little over 3 cm.
But why would the auto parts store not know this? Or offer me the large or small?

have them look up the u-joints for your jeep WITH anti-lock.

at autozone, i pretty much know exactly which vehicles i need to criss cross to get the right parts. in some cases if you look up WITH ABS, that'll be the right u-joint, in other cases you have to look up a different jeep all together.

Quadratec ad: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_102.htm
DANA SPICER® 297X/760X Series U-Joint
Spicer is known around the world for its innovation in driveshaft technology. With an unparalleled commitment to the design and development of the new driveshaft components, it’s no wonder Spicer has produced a number of significant industry innovations. Spicer Universal Joints have been engineered for reduced wear and a long service life. These direct-replacement U-joints are the same great U-joints that came from the factory. Replacement Universal joints are available for driveshaft and front axle assemblies for all CJ & Wranglers.
$22.99 » Click here for details #52302.102

4WDhardware ad: http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/productdetail.asp?pid=5760X
(2A) Spicer® Axle Shaft Universal Joint, Wrangler, 1995-03; XJ Cherokee, 1995-00; Grand Cherokee, 1995-98
Home > Product SKU: 5760X
(2A) Spicer® Axle Shaft Universal Joint, Wrangler, 1995-03; XJ Cherokee, 1995-00; Grand Cherokee, 1995-98 (5760X)
Non-greasable style, 1.18" bearing cap diameter.
Price: $24.99 Our Low Price Guarantee Quantity
Rating: Rate This Item!
////////////////////////////////////////
google spicer u-joints, you'll find a hundred places that sell them.

I just replaced mine last week,
passenger side took the larger joints, driver side was the smaller joints.
Course I figured this out after getting the smaller ones as directed by store, pulled pass side, too small... took them back got bigger ones... done pass side goto driver... too big... argh, back to store got the one I just brought back 30 minutes ago and finished the job...
the job is done... I just wonder is this a common occurence, has it happened to other people.

Back