• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent! Jeep has horrible vibration, shaking

rookcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Tonight I was driving home after a little wheelin', everything was fine until my entire jeep started shaking and vibrating immensely to the point where I had to go about 5mph for it to be some what tolerable. I finally made it home and got under the rig nothing seemed out of place until I moved the rear driveshaft back and forth which moved basically everything under there with it; eg: transfer case etc. Is there something that I might have broken that would cause this? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, as it's my DD. Thanks

Here is what you need to do.

1. Place block of wood on jack and slightly jack up transmission under the pan
2. Unbolt 4 bolts holding cross member to frame
3. Unbolt 2 bolts near the center of the cross member that keep it attached to the transmission mount
4.Unbolt transmission mount and replace with new
5.On my mount it looked like the bolts were equally spaced and it could go in either way, but they were slightly closer to one side. If you put it in backwards it will pull everything towards the drivers side and mess with your shift linkage.

Also, I would run by a harbor freight and pick up the chisel and punch set. This will make it easy for you to line up the bolts for the cross member to the frame by prying with one of the punches. Good luck.

Check your u-joints..Didn't you just put that drive line in?Did you drive it all week before you went out offroading? Was there or is there alot of mud on your rims? (inside). this could throw your balance off big time ..

Check your u-joints..Didn't you just put that drive line in?Did you drive it all week before you went out offroading? Was there or is there alot of mud on your rims? (inside). this could throw your balance off big time ..

Yes sir, drive line is perfect, drove it all week and it was fine. Not much mud inside the rims but i'll clean em out and see if that helps. Also, replaced the u joints on the drive line you gave me so I'll check the front ones. Thanks Scott

So i'm just getting around to replacing the tranny mount and I'm having some trouble with it. I started taking the bolts holding the crossmember to the frame and could only get the right side off. The left bolts are spinning but not coming off. Any one know of why it's doing this?. Any help at all would be great. Thanks!

I beleive there is a nut welded into the frame. It must have broke loose and is spinning. Do you have an angle grinder. If not, go to harbor freight and get one for $19.99. Cut the head of the bolt off using a cut off wheel and then push it up into the frame rail. You can either just leave it or try to get it out later. Then you will need to have a new nut welded into the hole. This is what can make a transfer case drop a pain sometimes.

Alright, so I finally got the crossmember off.. now I can't seem to figure out how the new mount goes on. The old one looks nothing like the new one that I picked up. The new looks like this:

2625.jpg

Am I looking at something wrong? I don't understand. Please help. Thanks

That is the correct one for an AW4. Dont know if the Peugout has a different mount... What trans do you have?

You have the Peugout. I'm not an expert with the 5 speed, so we'll have to wait for ohters to chime in. But I'll bet it takes a different mount.

spaclear.gif

spaclear.gif

Part No.
spaclear.gif
Anchor Mount Transaxle Mount: Rear Wheel Drive; Transmission; With With 4 Speed, 5 Speed; 1 Required Per Vehicle Warranty: LTD LIFETIME REPL
spaclear.gif

spaclear.gif
$24.99
spaclear.gif

you probably received the Anchor part no 2625 which is for the auto and later model manual trans, IIRC.

P.S. it also fits the 4X4, I just copied the wrong picture......

Back