• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift is on, have a thunking sound...

XJeffro

NAXJA Forum User
I just put my 3" lift on my 95 sport. I have springs up front, AAL in rear, and all new shocks. When I brake hard, I get a small thunking sound. I think it is the U-bolts twisting and riding forward. Anyone else have this? Can this be solved with a few shims?

Also, I have a little bit of vibration at speed. Whats the best to remedy this?

:eek:

I second what speed racer said. When you brake hard your rear end comes up just slightly, causing your u-joint to bind on the rear driveshaft, that is the clunking noise. Drop the t-case .5" and it will fix it.

There are lots of thing that can cause clunking. Not to say that a couple of post above could not be right, but did you torque all of the bolts to the correct spec??

How many miles since the lift?
Have you re-torqued?
Alignment?

Michael

i just put it on earlier today. had a mechanic do it (time just didnt allow big weekend this week). he said to put some spacers in the AAL. i just wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do.

If i drop the t-case 1/2 inch, how much is involved with that?

For the Tcase, just get a pile of washers (enough to make a half inch thickness on all four corners) to put between the crossmember and the frame where the mounting bolts are. And its not a hard job at all.

Mike

Back