• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fog light wiring

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
I guy has offered me a set of factory fog lights and brackets from a 99 for $35, has the interior switch, the two lights and brackets. One light is trashed, but I could maybe find one of those at the junkyard or somewhere. Anyway, here's the question, what do I need on my 01 that did not have factory fog lights to make this work. My search revealed that there is a relay somewhere so probably need that, but is the wiring for the switch and the pigtails out to the front bumper part of the standard harness or would all of that have to be fabricated?

thanks

It varies, my 98 had none of the wiring installed, the PDC did not have the sockets for the fog lights. I bought a factory add on kit from Jeepsareus.com that had the wiring from the new switch panel with the extra hole for the light switch [the XJ's don't have a blank that pops out like the TJ's do]. When I got done with the interior kit I had ONE wire running out of the firewall to a Hella fused relay that came with the Hella 550 kit I bought. I mounted the Hellas in the factory bumper bracket, just had to round out an elongated hole. The interior kit is plug and play, other than finding a ground to attach do it makes the switch work correctly with the high and low beams.
That said I've had others here tell me that all they needed was the switch, panel and relays and that the sockets were in the PDC.

In my 98 the PDC has the socket for the Fog Lamp Relay, but the factory wiring harness is not installed...
I also purchased the factory kit minus fog lights and installed Hella 550s....

If you look under the bumper you will see a slight oval shaped hole, when I put my 550's in there I took a drift pin and enlarged it round to fit the bolt, GENTLY, then used two big flat washers both above and below the hole to act as reinforcement. I did not cut out the air dam holes, I did not mount them behind like the stock ones. About 4 years later one of the lenses cracked and a local store had the 450's kits on sale for $50 so I now have 450's.
I also did not want them behind the air dam to make changing bulbs easier, this also provides better side illumination, no air dam to block the light.

Is there something I"m missing? Can't you just buy a $5 dollar switch from autozone, run your wires fuse them and be done with it?

Back