• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Shock Hoop

XJ[4x4]77

NAXJA Forum User
So i got some 14'' travel bilstein 5150's for cheap to replace my blown 11'' RE shcks. But when measuring to see if they would fit i didnt compensate for the BPE's on the axle side or the top shock adapters :( so they dont fit. i only have about 2.5'' of uptravel. so im considering making a shock hoop for the front and relocating the top mounts into the engine compartment to gain some more uptravel. has anyone else on here done this and have any imput? or should i just try and sell the shocks and buy the proper length?
any help is greatly appreciated

for the amount of work involved in doing that simply to gain some uptravel, i would think that you are better off just buying some shocks with less travel... making a shock hoop is quite the undertaking as i understand it.

14 is a lot of shock up front. Most XJ's at 4.5-6.5" of lift run 10's.. or 12 shortbody's.

I'd trade them off for something shorter, or buy something else and make a 14" shock hoop for the rear.

14 is a lot of shock up front. Most XJ's at 4.5-6.5" of lift run 10's.. or 12 shortbody's.

I'd trade them off for something shorter, or buy something else and make a 14" shock hoop for the rear.
thats what i was considering its just my metal work skills are very limited right now. i get my new miller tig hooked up today though and a bender soon so maybe ill go that route and buy some shorter ones up front. i was running 11'' travel shocks but i ran out of travel before full droop. which is i think what blew them up. Limit straps needed:doh:

Back