• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket D30 27 spline shafts

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i've been looking around recently, considering aftermarket shafts for my front axle. for some reason, through searching the forum and the web, i can't find a whole lot for options. can someone point me in the right direction? i'm running 4.56's with an aussie locker and 33's. i don't want to have to worry about my shafts too much but i can be smart on the pedal. a little extra beef is always good though. i don't want to upgrade to a 30 spline carrier/shafts, less than $500 would be nice and i want to run spicer 760x's...
BTW, what usually fails first, the u-joint or the shaft? i'm thinking i might be ok with just stock shafts and 760x's but i'm fearful that if i do bust a u-joint or shaft ears, it's going to cause havoc on my ball joints and outer tube seals etc. since i have a locker and there's no forgiveness there.
Thanks

I don't believe there are a lot of options right now as a lot of companies are out of there axles at the moment. But as a general suggestion Superior shafts have been the best out there for a long time. As far as the shaft or U-joint question it all depends on your area and style. Some people can blow up a stock spicer 760 u-joint at will with a 44 or a 30; others break shafts over and over again. If you can be smart with the pedal, and run 4340 shafts the u-joint will break first in my opinion, im sure others will have different thoughts. Under $500 for any 4340 axle assembly could be tuff, but I haven't looked at prices for a while.

hey man i just did this upgrade in my '90 i went from disco to no disco with the whole assy. stubs, shafts u joints and seals. i live in germany and shipping is a pain in the... well you know. any way, check out east coast gear supply. chase perry helped me more than he had to and i got everything i needed for 650.00 shipped to my apo. here is my little story...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=984350

and here is the web site...

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/cart.html

chase and carl montoya at JTS were both more than helpful throughout my little saga, i am running open diff at this point but talked with aussie and they said the locker would not be a problem.

good luck,
-chuck

I bought my TEN Manufacturing from National Drivetrain, a vendor here onthe board for $475 shipped. 760 joints and full circle clips.

I would think the joint would go first.

I was blowing up joints with stock shafts and it seemed to be the cap that was loosening up and then when the joint would break, it would take the yoke ears with it. I recently found too that one of my ball joints was toast, but I couldn't tell you whether the shafts/u-joints were breaking becasue of the bal joint, or the other way around.

I'd also suggest National Drivetrain, or Nitro Gear and Axle.

Both are quality products, and both help support Naxja, as well as the rest of the off-road industry.

yea...complete offroad has a pretty sweet deal on the yukon shafts. they just dont say yukon because theyre priced too low to advertise.

if i were you with 33s id just try to find some 297 shafts, and run those. little bit stronger, and you should be able to get em from a junkyard for less then 100 bucks. i did this with an aussie, and 35s for a couple years, and never had a problem.

i know that usually the u-joint is what is supposed to break first, but from seeing my friends d30 breaks its actually been a dead even split of u-joints, and shafts breaking. only problem is when a u-joint goes 99% of the time it takes out the ears with it and makes the shaft useless

actually, i have 297 shafts in it now with HD joints comparable to the 760's. considering 35's though and i just don't want to have to worry about it. it's all about overkill for me... the price of the yukon kit is nice but i read some things about the shafts being not so nice. i also don't like the way the warranty is worded with the manufacterers discretion part. this is what i'm thinking of for a little more cash: alloy 27 spline 4340 alloys with yukon chromo superjoints. about $600 shipped...

Last edited:
Oooh...take that complete offroad. You just got served.

Claims to back this up?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I've heard both positive and negetive about their shafts. But we all know who you are. :D

You know who I am, would you trust me? :)

I have seen more yukon shafts break than I have seen stock shafts break. Most axle manufacturers that I have dealt with seem to get their shafts from the same, quality, manufacturer. Just not Yukon.

(and I've seen a LOT of both..).

i've been looking around recently, considering aftermarket shafts for my front axle. for some reason, through searching the forum and the web, i can't find a whole lot for options. can someone point me in the right direction? i'm running 4.56's with an aussie locker and 33's. i don't want to have to worry about my shafts too much but i can be smart on the pedal. a little extra beef is always good though. i don't want to upgrade to a 30 spline carrier/shafts, less than $500 would be nice and i want to run spicer 760x's...
BTW, what usually fails first, the u-joint or the shaft? i'm thinking i might be ok with just stock shafts and 760x's but i'm fearful that if i do bust a u-joint or shaft ears, it's going to cause havoc on my ball joints and outer tube seals etc. since i have a locker and there's no forgiveness there.
Thanks

you can get a set of alloy usas shipped with alloy joints for $550, strongest 27 spline ones you can get and the best warranty

Claims to back this up?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I've heard both positive and negetive about their shafts. But we all know who you are. :D

yukons are terrible, end of story. they just are heat treated a little deeper and have a slightly more pure metal, they are 1540h or something like that, you want 4340 CHROMO FTW!!!!!!!

you can get a set of alloy usas shipped with alloy joints for $550, strongest 27 spline ones you can get and the best warranty

Alloy-USA went out of business. Omix-ADA bought the name and is not honoring the warranty.

Ten Factory and National Drivetrain have been honoring the Alloy-USA warranty, Ten officially and National as an act of good faith.

Back