• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8

RabidRabit

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference if I grab an 8.8 out of a mustang as opposed to an explorer? I found a 95 mustang with an 8.8 disc brake rear end with 5 stud axles and am wondering if this will work for swapping in my 89XJ.

Yeah, the Explorer or Mountaineer 8.8 is the only one to get. Even that axle is one inch narrower than an XJ's but at least you get thicker tubes and 31 splines. I just installed one from an Explorer and love it.

hope this helps,
Jeeps

Make sure you put lube into it after you build it.

DSC01401.JPG

DSC01402.JPG

DSC01403.JPG

You may also need the friction modifyer from ford. It's $5. I have a 8.8 out of a 99 explorer with disc brakes and the rear disc make a huge difference. Now I just need the $$ to put a ected in the rear too.

hey any one have any input: i just found a ford 8.8 on a early-mid nintys ranger. will that be a good swap to my cherokee. i am ready to get rid of the d35/ abs. there were after market springs and blocks plus 1 nice rim still there. the rest was pretty hashed. the car looks like some one was wheeling and lost control on a steep decline rolled a couple times and landed belly down against a tree, about 35 feet below the road level. the car is on hte rib of a switch back at about 2700 feet. this may be an xplorer axle i dont know but it is atleast an 8.8. so here is the q is it worth pulling off the truck the recovery is not going to be easy but the price is right...

I don't think the rangers have the same tubes/splines as the 8.8. I don't remember the specifics, but remember it is not as strong as the exploder axles.

Rangers are 28 spline, narrower than the explorer 8.8 and most have drum brakes. An easy rule of thumb is to find an 8.8 under an explorer or mountaneer that has disc brakes. Once you find that, then check the obvious things like the gear ratio and double check the vehicle year.

Here's a checklist to follow:

Explorer: Look Closer
Mountaineer: Look Closer
Disk Brakes: Look Closer
1996 and Up: Look Closer

1995 and Down: Stay Away
Ranger: Stay Away
Aerostar: Stay Away
Ford F-150: Stay Away
Drum Brakes: Stay Away

Back