• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace front axle?

POLmagnum

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a 92 xj it has a few front end problems ,bent lower control arm mounting bracket on axle, bad axle yolk u joints , and one more bar (cant remember the name but it comes from the steering linkage to the pass. side wheel). Ive been told that all that stuff is repairable and I have been told that the best fix is to get a new axle (or try and find a used one). I was wondering what would be the best and most cost efficient way to fix this?

I recently got a 92 xj it has a few front end problems ,bent lower control arm mounting bracket on axle, bad axle yolk u joints , and one more bar (cant remember the name but it comes from the steering linkage to the pass. side wheel). Ive been told that all that stuff is repairable and I have been told that the best fix is to get a new axle (or try and find a used one). I was wondering what would be the best and most cost efficient way to fix this?
If the axle side LCA mount is bent, you are best off either getting a new axle, or ordering the kit from a company that makes the HD brackets and having some one weld them on. If I remember correctly, the HD brackets are about $50 for a pair. The axle u-joints are $10 per side. Even if you get a new axle, chances are the track bar wouldn't be on it as most junkyards will just leave it attached to the frame. In your case, depending on late model axle availability, I would try to score a complete axle and have them get the track bar for you as well. Just make sure you stay away from TJ or 00-01 XJ axles. Good luck, let us know if you have any more questions.
-Collin

Steering pump to passenger side would be the drag link. Track bar goes between a bodymount on the drivers side to the passenger side of the axle. If the axle is bent or even very noisy it might be quicker to simply replace it.

How are you mechanical skills? If you have a junk yard or a pull-it-yourself place around, the axle is not very hard to remove. I've swapped mine twice (first time to regear, second time I bent the axle). Last time took me two hours from the time I grabbed the jack and jackstand to the time I set it back down. The hardest part is lining everything up enough to get all the control arm bolts back in.

It was the track bar I was looking at the wrong pic in my manual, but any ways I took youre suggestion and found a complete axle and diff housing with track bar,lca's, sway bar link and all off a 92 xj laredo same as mine every thing looks to be in good cond. probably replace all rubber bushings and u joint and steering stabilizer. Any thing else I should look at or replace while I have it off ?:party:

might as well crack it open, inspect for any damage to the gears, clean out any gunk, so you can refill w/ fresh fluid.

whats wrong w/ the tracbar?

Back