• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New engine going in, what else to do?

lokiju

NAXJA Forum User
Apologies up front if this is covered elsewhere. I couldn't find anything.

My '00 XJ and a Jasper remanufactured 4.0 are sitting at a repair shop, waiting for them to have time to install (probably starting Monday).

I've requested new engine mounts and they suggested it's a good time to do a thorough radiator inspection.

The shop has a very good reputation locally, but this is a bit of an odd market. So: What other things should I be requesting a check/replace on while the getting is good?

Much thanks in advance

Does the remanufactured engine come with a new water pump?
Most everything else can be easily changed, excluding the expensive CPS.

Go for better than stock motor mounts, MORE or Browndog are the most recommended. If you decide to stay with a stock style mount, get OEM. Parts store ones seem to have a very short lifespan.

I'd get the engine bay clean enough to eat off of while the engine is out.

What is the history of fluid maintenance? If it's not been great, then a wholesale swap of all fluids is always a good investment. Not that you have to have THEM do it, fluid changes are an easy DIY.

Definitely be sure you've got a new water pump. New OEM 195 stat. Flush radiator and heater core.

Lets see, new/reman engine:

Definitely check all the inexpensive crap that will destroy the engine:

All new radiator and heater hoses, all new clamps. Check the radiator, if you have the plastic tank OEM crap replace it with all new brass/copper radiator, HD if you want to.

New serpentine belt, new thermostat, new water pump, new temp and oil gauge sending units (just my personal preference on the sending units), and have the fuel injectors cleaned and flow checked. New plugs, new wires, and new air filter. Check the fan clutch (have those on 00?)/e-fan.

Thanks all for the info :worship:

Mechanic says he puts new water pump in as standard practice. He pointed me toward Jasper since, he says, they include alot of fresh doodads like that (plus a good waranty). I'll check with him about the injector check.

Got some Browndog poly's on the way. Serpentine is about 6 months old, might hang on to it. :cheers:

You might find the polys transmit too much vibration through the unibody for your liking, but you can always rebuild the BD mounts with their natural rubber inserts.

Back