• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with evap Q?

muleequipped

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ that I just got a week ago. The Check engine light is on and I went to Checker to look at the Codes. It gave me a P455 "major Evaproative blah blah blah leak." I thought ok I'll look for the charcoal canister and to my supprise there isn't one anymore. I asked the prev. owner and he mantioned that is isn't neccessary and he took it out so they could have room for the RK 4 link that was installed in the rear. My question is; Is it really not that important and if not is there I way I can bypass the lines and make the engine light turn off. I have to get it inspected asap and it won't pass with the light on. Thanks

Last edited:
the only way to permanently turn the light off is to repair it correctly. all emissions components must be installed and working properly for the light to stay off. i dont know the emissions laws in your state, but in some states all the monitors will have had to run and pass in order to perform the tests. after turning off the check engine light it takse a while for the monitors to run. once they do, if it doesnt pass a test, the light will come back on.

langer1 said:
A lose gas cap produces that code

Not to hijack, well okay, but I'm sorry.

Is there a way to replace the gasket on the gas cap instead of buying a new cap? Seems like a waste.

The main purpose of The evap system is to reduce the amount of hydrocarbons the vehicle releases into the atmosphere. It is not "essential " to vehicle operation, but having it complete and functioning properly is essential to keeping your CEL off and passing your inspection. The evap monitor is so precise you are going to need to have the system intact, no way around it.

I have some pics here I would like to show. This is how it looked when I got it.
med_gallery_970_556_347561.jpg

this is looking at the front lines, and the next is looking at the rear lines.
med_gallery_970_556_89008.jpg

Does anyone have pics of what it should look like.

Back